Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive E Problem

• Please log in to reply

growler1109

growler1109

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I am having trouble with my disk drive E, it used to never appear in my computer and never work. But now it appears as a USB. But it does not work when I put a disc, (DVD, CD ect).

So could someoen help. Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Hi growler1109 Welcome to GTG
Please provide more information about your computer, desktop or laptop
custom built or brand name such as Dell or HP + model name or number,
this will enable others to help you better.

growler1109

growler1109

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi growler1109 Welcome to GTG
Please provide more information about your computer, desktop or laptop
custom built or brand name such as Dell or HP + model name or number,
this will enable others to help you better.

My PC is a Packard Bell. And my disk drive that is not working is a LG.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Have you got a Packard Bell model name or number.
I am unsure what you mean by this "I am having trouble with my disk drive E, it used to never appear in my computer and never work. But now it appears as a USB".
Have you attached anything new to the computer via a usb port prior to this happening, possibly something with a storage
device, if the CD/DVD drive has somehow become disconnected installing something new could have replaced the vacant drive letter (E)
Onboard drives are normally connected via IDE or Sata cables not USB.

growler1109

growler1109

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Have you got a Packard Bell model name or number.
I am unsure what you mean by this "I am having trouble with my disk drive E, it used to never appear in my computer and never work. But now it appears as a USB".
Have you attached anything new to the computer via a usb port prior to this happening, possibly something with a storage
device, if the CD/DVD drive has somehow become disconnected installing something new could have replaced the vacant drive letter (E)
Onboard drives are normally connected via IDE or Sata cables not USB.

Well. I have no CD/DVD drive working. There is one fully conected in my PC but the PC does not know it's there. It does not show up in anything. Device manager, My Computer ect.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Please read these parts of my post again;
Have you got a Packard Bell model name or number? This will help locate your MB details.

Have you attached anything new to the computer via a usb port prior to this happening, possibly something with a storage device? if the CD/DVD drive has somehow become disconnected from the MB installing something new could have replaced the vacant drive letter, because the CD/DVD drive is not detected it would not be allocated to drive (E).

Onboard drives are normally connected via IDE or Sata cables so your CD/DVD drive would not be shown as a USB device unless it was connected to a USB port via a USB cable.

This is what is making me think that the CD/DVD drive is not connected to the mainboard,
"Well. I have no CD/DVD drive working" "but the PC does not know it's there. It does not show up in anything. Device manager, My Computer ect"

This tells me the CD/DVD drive is getting power from the psu;
"But it does not work when I put a disc, (DVD, CD ect)".
Suggesting that the disk tray will open & close, which requires power from the psu.
Things to ask, have you checked in the BIOS that the CD/DVD drive is enabled & have you ever opened the case to check if the
connection from the drive to the MB is good & secure.

growler1109

growler1109

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What is BIOS. And ho would I see if the drive is enabled there. And everything is secure. My Model Number. No idea at all.

Does this help:

CD/DVD Reading and Writing Publisher details
Issues found
CD/DVD drive is not detected
CD/DVD drive is not detected
The drive is missing or disconnected
Detected
Rescan devices

Not Run

Issues found Detection details
CD/DVD drive is not detected Detected
The drive is missing or disconnected
Rescan devices
Not Run

Check for changes in available devices
Detection details
Collection information
Computer Name: GEORGE
Windows Version:
Architecture:
x86
Time:
7/30/2010 7:03:29 PM
Publisher details
CD/DVD Reading and Writing
This diagnostic identifies and resolves common problems that may prevent you from reading and writing CDs/DVDs
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Corporation<hr>MATS Report

Edited by growler1109, 30 July 2010 - 12:07 PM.