Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with XP Mode

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
My host machine is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I have XP Mode (XMP) installed and it is fully updated. What I want to do is set it up so that a command prompt in the XMP opens up in a window on my host machine (and thus, is a 32-bit command prompt). I HAVE gotten this far already. However, what I am having problems with is this--I want to be able to access a folder from my host machine in the window of the XPM command prompt. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it? (Please keep in mind that I am *somewhat* knowledgeable about computers, though networking is not my strong point.)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Ok, I've gotten this to work. But after some playing around with it, it won't really work for me, for reasons I won't get into. What I want to do now is map the C drive of XP-Mode as a drive letter in the host machine. So, for example, when I'm in my host machine and type Z:\, it will bring me to the C:\ drive of XP-Mode. I understand I would only be able to access this drive on my host machine when XP-Mode is actually running.

I've gotten as far as sharing my C:\ drive in XP-Mode. But every time I try to map it in the host machine, I can never find it. Even typing the \\MACHINE NAME\SHARED NAME doesn't net any results. Can someone *please* offer some assistance?

thanks.