Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help installing Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Hazeleyes

Hazeleyes

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Greetings...Please, I need help installing a Western Digital 320 GB internal Parallel ATA hard drive.This hard drive is basically a bare OEM Drive in a box, no cable or software included for installation. The PC that I'm installing the hard drive is a DELL Dimension 4400 Desktop. I can't access the original hard drive because of an "isass.exe – System error.Cant even access in safe mode. Can someone please provide me with steps on how to install hard drive and access the original hard drive and remove tons of important files to be added to my new Western Digial hard drive. Than yo so much!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Remove the existing drive and replace it with new one with all connectors fitted to it exactly the same way.

There is no need to partition or format the new disk with a separate utility as the Microsoft Windows installation disc or Manufacturer's Factory Recovery disc will do that automatically.

Re-install Windows on to the new drive, using a Microsoft Windows installation disc or a Manufacturer's Factory Recovery disc.

Now buy an external USB hard drive enclosure which is designed for parallel-ata hard drives.
Fit your old drive into it. Plug it into a USB port on your PC and Windows should recognise it and automatically assign
a drive letter to it.

Please make a point of keeping backups of all your own files because when a hard disk fails completely (as it may do at anytime without warning)you will have no chance of recovering anything! Backing up is vital!

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 13 August 2010 - 07:33 AM.