Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Uninstall Movie Maker & microsoft frontpage & Google Re

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello 10Kay,

ComboFix Uninstall Instruction Question: What does "...clean out and reset your Restore Points." mean? Does "reset your Restore Points" follow the same step Disk Cleanup>More Options tab>System Restore>Clean Up?

It is important you carry this on out. Leaving ComboFix on your machine can cause problems down the line. Cleaning out your Restore Points gets rid of any malware hiding in your machines System Restore and resets it to start again. Yes I guess it is similar to doing it manually but we do want to do it the way I have requested because this also removes any malware quarantined by ComboFix.

ERUNT: Can I just leave these programs on my computer? Or are the just taking up space? I don't think XP Home Edition SP3 has a registry backup application.

Yes you can keep ERUNT it is a very good registry backup utility and yes it does take up space (can be quite a lot depending how it is set - you can check out the read only text). System Restore is your inbuilt backup. If you keep ERUNT you may want to turn System Restore off to save space. Generally speaking though I have not recommended keeping ERUNT in recent times because I think, for the run of the mill computer user, System Restore is simpler and does what is needed.

Temporary File Cleaner:

TFC has been designed by our resident developer specifically for removing temporary files on your computer. It does not remove files from some of the areas ATF does and which, by there removal, can cause loss of efficiency. It is extremely safe and does exactly what is needed. That is not to say that ATF isn't a good utility because it is. Only that we prefer TFC.

AntiSpyware: I already have Malwarebytes installed on my computer. Would having SUPERAntiSpyware installed duplicate Malwarebytes program as well as NIS 2010 antispyware?

I would only have one. They are different (SuperAntiSpyware removes cookies for example) and so you could have both but in my books Malwarebytes is enough.

Advertisements

10Kay

10Kay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for all your help emeraldnzl! Greatly appreciated!

:)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Thanks for all your help emeraldnzl! Greatly appreciated!

You are very welcome :)

I will keep this topic open for a day or two in case any issues arise.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.