Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen problem

• Please log in to reply

gasboy

gasboy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: I just bought a used compaq armada model 3500 laptop. It came with a reformatted hardrive so I installed windows 98se on it. Everything seems towork just fine except for the screen. It has a 1-2" gap on all four sides of the screen. Additionally, pictures as well as some text don't display very well at all. I have tried changing the screen resolution through the display properties but it will not adjust from its 640x480 to 800x600. Also, it offers only two colors: 2 or 16. Do I have a bad video card or is there some way I can get the current card to work properly? Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

gasboy

gasboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I forgot to add that in the device manager it says that I have a standard pci graphics adapter with the driver being a vga.dri

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you likely need the video driver for it...there are multiple versions of that laptop

check your model more closely

http://h10025.www1.h...en&cc=us&dlc=en

gasboy

gasboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you Gerry. That did the trick. Now if I can just get the cd-rom on my other laptop to work I'll be very happy.