Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS / Dell Inspiron 1545 WLAN problem

• Please log in to reply

roobarb12

roobarb12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi folks. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, runs quite happily with Windows 7. I have installed Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (dual boot). I cannot get Ubuntu to recognise the Dell 1397 WLAN mini-card (a re-branded Broadcom unit apparently). Being very new to Linux, could anyone please suggest a fairly simple remedy. If this does include installing a new driver just for Linux (will that affect Windows 7?), some fairly detailed explainations would be needed. All help and advice would be greatfully received. Thanks for your time and patience.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Linux kernels have always had issues with Broadcom chips, due to the fact that Broadcom has closed source drivers. Try NDISWrapper and see if that gets it working.