Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ghost 12 & Win7

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I ran a compatability app to check what will work that I currently have with Win Home Premium 7 as I currently have WinXP. It indicated that Norton Ghost 12 has "known issues" and that "you 'may' experience issues running this program on Windows 7." My question is, is anyone using this combination and if so, have they had any issues because of it? If not, have you actually done a recovery and everything went perfectly? Thank you! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In most cases a Ghost is done outside of Windows so if you know how to get to the Ghost program from a DOS prompt, the fact it doesn't work under Windows 7 becomes irrelevant.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hmmm, not sure what you're saying. I use a "recovery disk" that's made with Ghost. If I need to recover my environment, I boot from that disk and bypass Windows to do the recovery. But to store the recovery point (on my external harddrive), I have to do that by running Ghost within the Windows environment. THANKS for taking the time to answer all my questions so quickly!! :)

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Deleted - double post.

Edited by Julio, 16 September 2010 - 12:59 PM.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
You know, I wouldn't even be upgrading since I'm happy with XP and my configuration. But here's what's happened. I've had my XP disk for years. It's a legitimate copy bought from Newegg or Directron or TigerDirect or one of those big suppliers. It's an OEM version with the hologram and COA. It's ALWAYS been verified as legitimate when I've had to reinstall it. Of course, after a few re-installs, Ive had to call Microsoft to register it as it would no longer do it automatically over the Internet. No problem, though, as I said, they've always given me a new key and everything has been hunky-dorey for years.

Well, this last time, they told me the original key (that I need to give to them to receive the new one) was illegitimate! I don't understand what's going on. I tried a couple of different reps to make sure it wasn't just the reps' mistake, but they all told me the same! I'm wondering if this is MS's way of phasing XP out and making people upgrade to Win7??