Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reset to factory defaults

• Please log in to reply

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thank you and i will let you know.. btw i will be logging off now lol :)
i dont think i will be able to talk to her until at least this evening. so i will post back when i get the chance

oops double post?

Edited by javamama, 18 September 2010 - 02:17 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
OK
If that works and there ARE bad sectors reported DO NOTHING ELSE until you post and either I or someone advises you.
IF there are NO bad sectors reported
make a note of what is shown and save that for your next post.
Type "exit" at the prompt and the window will close.
Click START
Programs
Accessories
System Tools
Disk Cleanup.
Select the box with the smallest amount of items to be cleaned . Quantities in KB are shown against each entry.
Uncheck all the other boxes.
Then click to clean
If that works, go back and select the next TWO smallest quantities.
Run that.
If that workds select all that is left except the largest, likely to be compress old files.
Run that and see if that is OK.
Post back when you reach that stage.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 September 2010 - 02:22 PM.

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
chkdsk is verifying Usn journal...
Usn journal verification complete.
chkdsk discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
windows found problems with the file system.
run chkdsk with the /f (fix) option to correct these.

72870839 kb total disk space.
22697692 kb in 120744 files.
73620 kb in 12304 indexes.
492 kb in bad sectors.
220559 kb in use by the system.
65536 kb occupied by the log file.
49878476 kb availabe on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
18217709 total allocation units on disk.
12469619 allocation units avaible on disk.

i assume this means there are bad sectors so i am awaiting further instructions :D

Edited by javamama, 20 September 2010 - 11:53 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
A report of bad sectors is NOT what you want to see.
However very occasionally chkdsk does report bad sectors, especially with your relatively small amount of 492kb when in fact the drive is OK
You should note however that this is rare and usually chkdsk is reliable in its report.
For the time being and as you say there is no valuable data that you wish to save (if there was my advice would be different) Start normally
Click Start, My Computer, right click C drive, click Properties, click the Tools tab, on Error checking, click Check Now, click to check the boxes "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" Click Start. You will receive a message to reschedule for next restart.
Agree and restart in Safe Mode.
DO NOT INTERRUPT the check it will take about an hour or so.

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
restarting in safe mode now, doesn't appear to be doing anything.. will it take a few moments to begin or run in background unnoticed?

Edited by javamama, 20 September 2010 - 12:42 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The screen should now hold on the Safe Mode option, after you have moved the highlight bar to there and pressed enter.
If you look at the HDD light it should be showing as working. ie: flashing and holding at times.
After it has completed Windows will then reload.
Be patient it could take an hour or so.

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
just to be sure i understand.. i got that the screen will appear as if nothing is going on, but the light on the tower will flicker and sometimes hold suggesting that it is, as a matter of fact running the check? :D lol
and we are being patient lol.. we have not touched it since restart except to load in safe mode. thanks for your help

Edited by javamama, 20 September 2010 - 01:42 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What is showing on the screen please is it as I said in post 21

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 September 2010 - 01:52 PM.

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
she said she didnt notice the light blinking, but wasnt watching it all the time. it started like it had the previous time in safe mode where you see the safe mode desktop background. she has left it alone at this point . should she try restarting in safe mode again? is there a way to check if it did it?

i really hope i am conveying this in a way that it makes sense :D

Edited by javamama, 20 September 2010 - 03:36 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not think she configured chkdsk correctly.
See this and follow the instructions, this time just restart, as normal. Do not go to F8 and Safe Mode.
Windows XP Chkdsk - How To Using The Graphical Version...

In addition to the command line utility detailed above. It is possible to access a graphical version of the Windows XP chkdsk.

To do this:

Step One: Open "My Computer", RIGHT click on the C drive icon, choose "Properties".

Step Two: When that loads, click on the "Tools" tab, then click on the "Check Now" button in the "Error Checking" section.

Step Three: When that little window loads, place a CHECK in BOTH boxes, then click on "Start Now".

Step Four: A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer, so......Restart the computer. Error Checking will run automatically after the restart and it locks you out from doing anything until it's finished. It takes a little time to perform the task but after it's finished, it will restart into Windows automatically.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 September 2010 - 03:50 PM.

Advertisements

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I do not think she configured chkdsk correctly.
See this and follow the instructions, this time just restart, as normal. Do not go to F8 and Safe Mode.
Windows XP Chkdsk - How To Using The Graphical Version...

In addition to the command line utility detailed above. It is possible to access a graphical version of the Windows XP chkdsk.

To do this:

Step One: Open "My Computer", RIGHT click on the C drive icon, choose "Properties".

Step Two: When that loads, click on the "Tools" tab, then click on the "Check Now" button in the "Error Checking" section.

Step Three: When that little window loads, place a CHECK in BOTH boxes, then click on "Start Now".

Step Four: A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer, so......Restart the computer. Error Checking will run automatically after the restart and it locks you out from doing anything until it's finished. It takes a little time to perform the task but after it's finished, it will restart into Windows automatically.

hmmm in your reply i didnt see all these instructions but when i went to quote and reply it showed it all i will get to it :D

correction- she is not home now so it will be later tonight or tomorrow ;)

Edited by javamama, 20 September 2010 - 03:57 PM.

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ran the chdsk and windows restarted normally. haven't done anything else with it yet. should she try to do maintenance now.. like disk cleanup and defrag?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go Control Panel Administrative functions, Event Viewer, Application, then first (at the top) Winlogon and double click that, this will give you the results of the chkdsk. Any bad sectors and please copy and post the results.
You do this by getting the results open and then pressing the Print Screen key on the keyboard. You then go Start, Programs, Accessories, Paint and on the Edit tab click Paste, then click Save as and select JPEG image. Then attach to your next post.
OR write them down and type them. DO NOT BOTHER with all the block of numbers etc under internal info.
If there are bad sectors. on a greater number than before, we may safely presume I think that the disc is failing.
I am offline until about 2300 hrs from about 2045 so post the results and I will pick them up and leave you a reply for overnight.

IF you wish you can go ahead with the clean, there is nothing to lose, but the real decision to be made will have to wait until we see the chkdsk results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 September 2010 - 12:51 PM.

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok ty. we will post back with results when we can

javamama

javamama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hope this works lol i wasn't sure how to include a pic.
also she said that there is a message on the screen that said windows had recovered from a serious problem. is that a normal thing after what we did?
she is trying to get a screen grab of it to send to me
Posted Image

Edited by javamama, 22 September 2010 - 06:37 AM.