Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my Firewall on?

• Please log in to reply

daccas

daccas

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

I've had my Dell PC for around 5 years now. As per usual with new Dell PC's it came bundled with McAfee security software. For the last couple of years I've been getting pop-ups saying it's now expired and I need to renew, which I haven't done. I've been having some problems connecting my xBox to my PC and from checking the forums, one solution was making sure I only have 1 firewall on. In the "Windows Security Centre" it shows Firewall as ON and says "McAfee personal Firewall is currently ON". I have never upgraded/renewed any McAfee software so I'm wondering whether the Firewall is actually working. I've been into "Windows Firewall" and that too was showing as ON. When I turn off the windows firewall I can now connect to my xBox but I'm now worried that the McAfee firewall might not actually be working (as I haven't renewed my subscription) and that I;m now left exposed to threats. Is there any way of checking if this McAfee firewall is actually working? Or can anyone confirm that if it actually says it is on then it definitely is on?

Dave

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
So what you are telling us is that you have no updated virus or firewall security on the computer.
McAfee is probably working but with outdated files.
I would uninstall McAfee completely and install Avira or Avast virus scanner (both free).
As for the firewall, there is mixed answers as to what works best (windows firewall or another firewall program). I turn off windows firewall and use Zonealarm free.

daccas

daccas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That's great, thanks a lot!

Dave

daccas

daccas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I've downloaded ZoneAlarm but now my xbox can't detect my PC. I've turned off the mcafee Firewall so I only have zonealarm on. I've set both zones to medium and still not detecting the xbox. Are there any other settings I should change?

Dave