Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet(strange IP assignment?)

• Please log in to reply

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I saw that you were leaving, I just was screaming at the stars that someone come across the post to drop some knowledge.

The disc I have isn't compatible with Windows 7 so I didn't install* the drivers, but the last time I formatted the internet came up automatically so I'm not sure it'd make a difference. I can always thumb drive new drivers off this computer if need be though I suppose.

Edited by Atma, 13 October 2010 - 11:12 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the make/model of your computer? or is it custom made? go ahead and download the most recent network drivers for your computer from the manufacturer's website

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It's custom made... got the drivers done. Still the same thing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is a wired connection right? have you tried a different ethernet cable? are the lights on the ethernet port lit up when it's plugged in?

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've tried 3 different ethernet cables and retried them on this alternate computer and they all work. The lights on both the modem and the port light up saying its all good.

Just for some added information... when I go to the network and sharing center. The little picture at the top is basically.

My Computer - Yellow Triangle with "!" - Unidentified Network - Red X - Internet globe greyed out

At some point it would say something like "Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't have a copy of windows 7 here at work, i'm going to ask for a little assitance from someone who does.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you ever try uninstalling microsoft security essentials?

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah yesterday when you brought it up I uninstalled MSE and it was ineffective.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello you two!

Sounds very dumb, but can you check the Device manager to see if it throws any errors?

I also haven't seen the Event Viewer mentioned. Maybe that will shed some light on what is causing this.

Also, could you run a 'ping' command to the following addresses;

P.S. excuse me for the lack of detailed instructions. I wrote this from my android.

Regards,
Olrik

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I wasn't sure what you wanted me to do in Device Manager, I went in there and didn't get any errors, I checked the properties of network adapters and didn't get any errors, shrug.

I pinged those ips.

127.0.0.1 came up with... four lines of

bytes=32 <time 1ms TIL=128

Sent 4, Recieved 4, Lost 0. 0% Loss

For 8.8.8.8

Another 4 lines except this time it said.

PING Transmit Failed. General failure.

100% loss this time.

Shrug.

Lastly, not sure what you mean by the Event Viewer, I'm not familiar.

Advertisements

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Till tomorrow then?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Sorry, I didn't respond sooner than now. I dont actually have access to a machine right now. So I cant give more detailed instructions yet. However, the moment I get to work tomorrow, I will write out some more detailed instructions. :D

Regards,
Olrik

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Cant thank you enough for your time, looking forward to a solution.

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Had a breakthrough... I did some investigating into that 169. ip a bit more, and I cant recall the forum I found it on now, but one of the replies specifically said that he believed a 169. IP was indicative a hardware issue. He cited ethernet cable being a likely source, but I ruled that out already, he also noted a few other hardware issues it coulda been. I chose to go down and add an Netword Card and that did the trick. Not sure what was with the on board networking on the mobo, but maybe a short circuit somewhere? In any case, hope this helps people in the future. I truly did exhaust all free options on this and it ended up costing me 25 dollars.

Thanks for your help, good luck.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Atma,

Great news that you managed to fix it by yourself.
I am quite amazed though that even though the Device Manager showed no errors with the network card, it was still the cause of the errors.

Thank you for posting back with your solution to your problem. I am sure it will help some people in the future. :D

Regards,
Olrik