Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Create a Windows 7 ISO?

• Please log in to reply

MM9610

MM9610

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm in need of a Windows 7 ISO (I can't download one because my internet is... bad) and I was wondering if I could create one?
I don't have an installation disk.
Is there a program which lets you create one from scratch? ("scratch" meaning just your OS, no installation disk).

Edited by MM9610, 17 October 2010 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not going to happen because there is no where to download Microsoft OS's legally except from Microsoft itself and then only certain circumstances.
Obtaining it from any other site is piracy and GTG will not help with that pursuant to our TOU.

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

MM9610

MM9610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No I don't want to download one, I'm asking if there is a way to make a disk from the files I already have installed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I based my response on this:

(I can't download one because my internet is... bad)

If your bandwidth was good then it sounds like you would consider it and I was just giving you the information that we wouldn't help with that.
You can make a image of your existing setup so in case you had a problem you could recover your system back to the time of the image. This would include your OS and all programs and drivers you have installed at that time.
Something like Acronis True Image has a trial version you can get for free.

MM9610

MM9610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ah ok. :D
Thanks for the information then. ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please understand you cannot use the image created to put on any other system.
The image contains information for the system it was made from so trying to install it to any other system is useless as the drivers and motherboard information will not work.

MM9610

MM9610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No I just needed it in case anything happened to my system, I like to have a backup of everything. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a desktop or laptop?
Name brand system like Dell or HP?
Make and model of system

MM9610

MM9610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Laptop
Toshiba Satellite Pro
Not sure of the specific model, I'm not on that laptop right now but I will check if you need to know.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://lifehacker.co...-restore-center

as a note, the windows 7 backup utility (built into the OS) actually creates system images now (not in ISO format but, whatever) so you can do a full system backup and restore directly from the OS

KushelDuv

KushelDuv

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I know this thread is about a week old, but if you have a Toshiba laptop, an easy way to create a backup disc for the system in case you need to reinstall Windows is...

• Open the start menu and in the search box at the bottom type "rec"
  • The start menu will then show all the programs that match that name, you will get several most likely
  • Look for one that says something like "Recovery Media Creator" or "Recovery Disc Creation" sometimes also called Recovery Manager, I can't remember exactly how Toshiba words it.
  • Just run that program, and it will create a set of backup discs containing your windows system for reinstalling.
  • It usually takes about 3 to 5 dvds.

Please remember though, that this is only a backup of windows and the software that the computer came with, you will still want to keep backups of your personal documents and anything installed after you got the computer.

I'm assuming that the computer had windows 7 on it when you bought it, if it is one that you upgraded, then unfortunately this won't work.