Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No access to "C" drive

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello to all -

I've had Windows 7 for some time now and have recently found a need to place two VBS files in the root of "C". When I tried to paste a copy, an error appears stating, well...that there was an error. I can create a folder, rename an existing file, etc., but I can not create a new file or paste a copy of a file in my "C" drive. I granted myself "Full Control" and that didn't help. Next, I made myself the owner of the drive where as before the owner was "TrustedInstaller". When converting the ownership of all the documents, I must have answered a hundred messages asking me to confirm or to ackknowlege that I couldn't take ownership of various files. And finally, when all that was finished, my jaw dropped when I STILL COULDN'T put anything in the root.

I've searched for information online and come up with nothing. At best, people are recommending to turn off the UAC, but that's now how that works in Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I'm not entirely sure, but this kind of sounds like a virus, not letting you modify your C: Drive could the work of malware of some sort

The Noodle

The Noodle

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
How many files do you have in the root of your drive? its a long shot I know but depending on the file system there is a maximum.

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
That's typical for Vista and 7 computers, file permissions are not granted to the root of the C drive. If you really must have such access then you can add your own account with full control in the Security tab for the C drive. If you only want to move However that limitation is there for a reason and you'd probably be better off if possible placing the files somewhere else if at all possible, or at least removing that permission once you're finished.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thank you all for the replies.

I know Windows XP can only go so deep with subfolders (though the count was so high I doubt it affected anyone anyway), but I've never heard of a maximum number of files you can have in any directory - even the root.

At any rate, I have a single, lonely file in the root of "C" and so, the maximum count theory will not apply to me this time. Outside of that, I have about 10 folders.

And speaking on the point of Security, I can tell you that (and I thought I already posted this part) that I added myself to the security tab for the root and gave myself full control. When that still didn't work, I actually took ownership of "C" from "TrustedInstaller". And still, even while being the owner of the folder, and having given myself full control, I still can't write anything to the root of "C".

Malware? Nah. Malware was designed to scare non-geeks. Non-geeks don't even know how to put anything on the root of "C". Everything goes on their desktops, or hopefully their documents folder. Just off the top of my head, if I was creating malware, I probably wouldn't make something that prevents you from defragmenting your hard drive. Ha. Non-geeks would never try to do that and geeks would simply fix the problem. Malware is a little more sever than preventing you from writing files to your "C" drive.

Unfortunately, I'm going to put this one to bed. My Magic 8 Ball says it's "Microsoft" and one of their "we don't want you to break your computer" tricks.

If you come up with anything, anything at all, please do let me know.

Thanks,

Magus

The Noodle

The Noodle

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Just thought i'd let you know, I can create files in the root of my windows 7 ultimate's root directory. thought you should know :D

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Nonsense, you have full access to C: besides \System Volume Information by default.

Paste a screenshot of the error message.