Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Install AVG Free V11

• Please log in to reply

MarioX1981

MarioX1981

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I have a problem. I cannot install AVG Free V11. Why?

I get an error code: 0xC0070643. Please help me.

I have tried everything, including running the AVG clean uninstaller in Safe Mode, to no avail. What do I do further?

Link: http://download.cnet...cdlPid=11014801

Alternate program I am using: Microsoft Security Essentials

Thank you,

Ben Edge

Edited by MarioX1981, 25 October 2010 - 01:02 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
This is a common AVG error and the company recommended fix for this is

Please try to install AVG in custom install without Identity Protection component

MarioX1981

MarioX1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

This is a common AVG error and the company recommended fix for this is

Please try to install AVG in custom install without Identity Protection component

Will do.

~Ben

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Let us know if that works :D

MarioX1981

MarioX1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Let us know if that works :)

OK, but for now I'd rather not install it at this time. I'd rather just wait about a month or so for a full-blown fix of the whole kit and kaboodle...

UPDATE: I decided to install it again - and I did the advice you last had suggested: I selected "Custom Install" and unchecked the component marked "Identity Protection" and the installation was a SUCCESS!!! Thank you. Let me know if there are other possible fixes for this in the future.

~Ben

Edited by MarioX1981, 26 October 2010 - 01:53 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
:D

MarioX1981

MarioX1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I need to follow up on this problem again:

This time, the AVG Free 11 program never installed thanks to this particular error:

0xE001003D

Again, I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

I was having initial problems with it before I uninstalled it, leading me up to my current situation. When I click Update, it detects the updates and installs them. But, when I do the same thing again, the updates are detected again.

The latest AVG Free 11 is version 1170 definition 3292.

Thank you,

Ben

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi sorry for the delay - I lost my notification for this. Again a known problem with AVG

Hi, Please use the full AVG installation file http://free.avg.com/...le-ins-afg-free instead of the download manager version to check, if installation will be then successful.

Taken from the AVG forums

Let me now if it works

MarioX1981

MarioX1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi sorry for the delay - I lost my notification for this. Again a known problem with AVG

Hi, Please use the full AVG installation file http://free.avg.com/...le-ins-afg-free instead of the download manager version to check, if installation will be then successful.

Taken from the AVG forums

Let me now if it works

No, got this error: code 0xC0070643. Going to re-install MS Security Essentials at this moment.

~Ben

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that error means that AVG has not cleaned up behind itself and you probably had multiple old versions on the system. There was one person that found a likely solution

Log onto your computer in Safe Mode. Right click on Start button and select explore. Scroll down to Program files and open and then scroll down to AVG Folder. Double click on this folder. You may see other folders with AVG 8 for example. if you right click on it and see if this will delete. (I had AVG 8 9 AND 10 ON MINE) One of the folders it will not let you delete it. Once you have removed the folder/s that can be deleted open up the folder that cannot. Delete all that you can in this folder either by deleting one by one or in little chunks until you are only left with a handful. These are the ones that will not delete until you do the following. Open up the Task Manager by right clicking on the blue bar at the bottom and select Processes. Now end the AVG Processes and then go back into the folder and delete the rest of the files. Once done you can then delete the AVG Folder. Close this down and then restart your computer and you will be able to install AVG 2011.

MarioX1981

MarioX1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

OK that error means that AVG has not cleaned up behind itself and you probably had multiple old versions on the system. There was one person that found a likely solution

Log onto your computer in Safe Mode. Right click on Start button and select explore. Scroll down to Program files and open and then scroll down to AVG Folder. Double click on this folder. You may see other folders with AVG 8 for example. if you right click on it and see if this will delete. (I had AVG 8 9 AND 10 ON MINE) One of the folders it will not let you delete it. Once you have removed the folder/s that can be deleted open up the folder that cannot. Delete all that you can in this folder either by deleting one by one or in little chunks until you are only left with a handful. These are the ones that will not delete until you do the following. Open up the Task Manager by right clicking on the blue bar at the bottom and select Processes. Now end the AVG Processes and then go back into the folder and delete the rest of the files. Once done you can then delete the AVG Folder. Close this down and then restart your computer and you will be able to install AVG 2011.

Sorry, I've done what you suggested but got the same error code. I am through with AVG, I am going to use MS Security Essentials from this point forward.

~Ben

Edited by MarioX1981, 12 December 2010 - 10:47 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
In my opinion you are doing the right thing :D

MarioX1981

MarioX1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

In my opinion you are doing the right thing :D

Yes, as MS Security Essentials consumes less disk space than AVG ever does... but at least I have protection.

~Ben

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
MSE is quite a good option actually - much better than AVG

MarioX1981

MarioX1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts