Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Copying Files from one PC to Another

• Please log in to reply

Ramaddil

Ramaddil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I am trying to copy files that are on my Network from One PC to Another. The error message I get are "you need permission to preform this Action". Both Machines have Windows 7 64Bit version, the drives are shared and the permissions are set. I have also tried the command net user administrator /active:yes.

I have I think tried everything in order to copy these files. I have a Homegroup set up and all of my computers are on the Homegroup. My connection is Cable, I have a router that runs a line to a hub where these two computers are plugged into.

Please Help. I am at my wits end, and short of having to use my external drives back and forth I really just want to be able to copy files over the network and not have to worry about moving my external drive to 2 or more different pc's

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Net Use Administrator isn't going to solve anything.

The permissions issue is normally caused because you're trying to copy files to areas such as, but not exclusively, Program Files, Windows and Users. You shouldn't really copy things to these areas if you can help it. Anywhere else such as the Desktop shouldn't generate the messages.

Ramaddil

Ramaddil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I am just copying to the root c:\ d:\ etc i am not copying to any where else but i am still getting the same message

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yes, the root applies as well, though you shouldn't just dump stuff willy-nilly in the root of the boot drive.

Make a folder somewhere safe, for example, C:\Stuff, share it and copy to that folder and see what happens.

Ramaddil

Ramaddil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Just tried that still having same issue

stillwaters

stillwaters

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
In a homegroup you can only share files in the library. Try adding the folder with the document you want to share to the library, and see if that works. If you need more detail, let me know.

Ramaddil

Ramaddil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I don't necessarily want to use home group.. I just want to be able to copy files like I used to do from one computer to another with previous versions of windows.. But if there isnt any other way then I guess I will use Home Group