Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crisis, the game

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also my wife's machine has exactly the same motherboard, RAM and processor combo. She does not have RealTek HD Audio drivers installed?

Try uninstalling this in yours just to see if it works.
We can always get it back if need to be. :D

Advertisements

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Well I reinstalled Crisis without the patches and then ran the compatibility mode made checker in W7. It had me run it in XP SP2 mode and it seemed to be working. I say seemed to because I didn't get to play that long but the little that I did it seemed to work OK. Funny thing is though that when I looked at the properties to the shortcut after I exited it said it was tunning Crisis.exe from the BIN64 folder? I'm assuming that means 64bit mode? What is the significance to not patching the game if anything? There are some very needed improvements in the patches that enhance the game. Or so they say anyway. Should I try patching it and running it again to see if it still works? If it fails then maybe run the compatibility checker on it again and see what happens? I haven't had any freezes lately. Should I still try to uninstall the ReakTek HD Audio drivers? Also what is your opinion of AVG 10? It seems very bloated to me and I can't turn it off when I want to game.

Edited by gwtwins, 19 November 2010 - 11:42 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Should I try patching it and running it again to see if it still works?

Might as well

If it fails then maybe run the compatibility checker on it again and see what happens?

I would suggest patching it and then running in compatibility mode to see if it works. :D

Should I still try to uninstall the ReakTek HD Audio drivers?

Yep since you stated that your wife's system doesn't have this it shouldn't hurt anything to get rid of it. ;)

Also what is your opinion of AVG 10? It seems very bloated to me and I can't turn it off when I want to game.

I don't use it or recommend it.
There are plenty of FREE AV's that are a lot less stressful on the system resources which won't slow your system down. ;)

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm going to try patching it and running the compatibility mode checker again as you suggest. Since this is a new machine I also called their tech support today about the Realtek HD audio. Seems my on board sound was enabled as well and that was why that was there. I went into the BIOS and disabled the Azalia Codec and restarted. It went away. I wonder if that was causing some sort of conflict with the Creative card? Time will tell.... I'm going to stress the system a bit and see how things go. I'll report back. What AV do you recommend? What is your opinion of MS Security Essentials? I see it is highly recommended by this forums' Founder Geek.

Edited by gwtwins, 19 November 2010 - 04:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I wonder if that was causing some sort of conflict with the Creative card?

I would say it very well can.

What is your opinion of MS Security Essentials?

We highly recommend it here also.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'll give MSE a try....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'll give MSE a try....

;) :D

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
OK...this is getting crazy again! I patched the game and ran the compatibility program on it. It wanted me to run in Windows XP SP2 mode which I did. The game ran but only in windowed mode and would not let me change any settings? It would allow me to load a saved game but it was no longer picking up the triggers for the next quest or cut scene. I uninstalled it again and then applied only 1 patch. I ran it without using compatibility mode and so far it seems to be working. I'm about 4 hours in and I guess I'll just have to play to the same point as I was before to see if it allows me past it this time.

Then somewhere during this process Windows 7 wanted me to install so updates so I did. It told me to restart and then the system proceeded to freeze up on me again. I ran chkdsk /r again and the system seems to be working well? I haven't played the game again yet but will do that tomorrow since I'm now off for the holiday!! I also installed MS Security essentials per your recommendation.

If the system continues to act up and / or won't play the game past a certain point what are your feelings on a reformat / re-install? As much as I would hate to do it I really don't have a lot installed on this machine yet since it's brand new. I'm really just trying to avoid having to send it back to the manufacturer in California! Are there any other diagnostic tools we cab try that we haven't yet?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I remember right in your other topic we ran the diagnostics on the HD and Memory with both coming back good.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
What HD tools are we talking about here? The only real memory test I did was to try each stick one by one. The machine booted with all of them. I am having another issue that I have been having since day one also and maybe this is contributing to all other issues? My sound card plays game sounds and the default windows sounds but when ever I try to play a youtube video on facebook or a .wmv file that is attached to an email a friend sent me all I hear is muffled sounds which are barely audible? Even one of my facebook apps only plays some of the sounds? Any ideas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the sound problem only happen with youtube and facebook?
What about other websites?
The tools I am referring to is

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I mostly have the sound issue with embedded stuff in facebook. You know..embedded youtube videos on news feeds. Some sounds work in facebook games and others don't. I also have an email with a .wmv file attached and when I click to open the file, it opens in windows media player and plays but the sound is muffled / muted. Most games, like Crisis seem to play sound just fine.

I don't recall running the hard drive diagnostic tool but I will if you think it's necessary.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I don't recall running the hard drive diagnostic tool but I will if you think it's necessary.

Can't hurt to run it.
I would also suggest running the memtest86 program if you have not done that. We might as well make sure about everything at this point.
I myself believe this to be a either a video or a game issue.
The sound problem but may possibly caused from the OS also. Please try the following and let me know what you find out.
How To Fix:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regedit to open the Registry Editor
  • Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
  • Now right-click on the heading Drivers32 and select NEW-->STRING VALUE.
  • Call this new String Value wavemapper.
  • Now double-click the wavemapper entry you just created and for the VALUE field, type in msacm32.drv and click OK.
  • Close the Registry Editor and try watching a video on youtube again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
II see you have opened a malware topic and I will follow that also to see what the Tech there finds or suggest. Hopefully between the two topics we can finally resolve this issue for you. :D

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Unpatched Crysis has known issues with Windows 7 64-bit. You should definitely patch to 1.2, and see if it will run. If not, then try running it in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the whole second page of this topic... :D It sounds like your system has some much more serious problems. I'd do a clean install of Windows 7 if at all possible.