Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen error.. Won't boot in normal or Safe mode

• Please log in to reply

mobilemech96

mobilemech96

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2081, Model # PSAA2U-05803P
With 1256Mb of ram operating on Windows XP (SP3) Home Edition. This machine has had an issue or two thus far, like not being able to run a matched pair of ram chips. Toshiba says it will ONLY run either one chip or matched chips, but it won't. It will only run a single chip or as currently it has a 1Gb chip and a 256Mb chip. That aside, this machine was running slow as of late and I did what I could to make it a little better (i.e. installing Ccleaner to help with the registry and temp file usage) Even having installed Tuneup Utilities did little to alleviate the slowness. Then just the other day my Girl went to www.sho.com to see her Dexter stuff and got a bluescreen error (Page fault in non-paged area) and it rebooted itself. From that point on I have not been able to get the laptop to boot in either safe, normal, or last known configuration. In safe mode it would hang on AVGIDSxx.sys. I then took her hard drive and put it in a SATA Caddy to read with my laptop and went in and renamed the file. Now it would hang on every other AVG*.* file in the system32 directory so I just moved these files to a different folder. From here on in the computer just hangs on Mup.sys. Now i've hooked it back up to my laptop and did a check disk thru the TuneUp Utilities on my laptop and all was fine. Put it thru Disk Doctor (from TU) and still no problem. CHecked the fragmentation and it was only 7% fragmented. at this point I decided to run a 'chkdsk /f /r' thru the command prompt on the drive. At the end of the scan my Avira cam up with 'threat detected on e: BOO/alureon.A' I was prompted with removing it and did so. I then scaned the drive with Malwarebytes and it come up with no infections. Upon reading some of the other forum posts, I have downloaded ComboFix, renamed it to commy.exe and saved it to my desktop. But, of course, I await instructions from you as to how to use it. Currently I have the Hard Drive from the Toshiba in a SATA Caddy Hooked up to my Dell Latitude D800 thru USB.
I unfortunately do NOT have the Windows install disk for the computer as her ex-husband 'can't seem to find it' I do have one for XP Pro, but she is running Home Edition.
Before the computer crashed, I did install Malwarebytes on it as well and I have included the log file from that scan.
Hopefully you can help, just tell me what I have to do. I'm thinking that we'll end up needing HiJackThis at some point but i'll await your instructions before I get it. Thanks in advance for all the help you are about to provide me :D

Regards,
David

Attached Files

Advertisements

mobilemech96

mobilemech96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Disregard this post... I've found the Windows CD. I'm just going to backup the important files and reinstall windows