Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card update messes up colors

• Please log in to reply

venetic

venetic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
While playing games, I got a black screen for 3 seconds then an error saying "Display driver igfx has stopped working and successfully recovered." It seems I got this error every time something in the game got hectic. I then went to the games forum and saw that many people have fixed this error by installing the newest update for their graphics card (mine is the Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family) and once I did this and restarted my computer, my screen looks like the following:
Posted Image
It should look like this:
Posted Image

I have tried to mess with the color settings after installation but it only seemed to make it worse. I have also posted this to the Intel forums to see if anyone would help me, but it seems no one knows what the problem is.
If anyone could please help me with this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you! :D

Edited by venetic, 20 November 2010 - 03:00 PM.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I'm guessing you're playing WoW. What kind of laptop, name and model# would help. WoW is a graphic intensive game, and playing with integrated video on a laptop will create high temps. You say it happens in the middle of the action so I would think it's a heat issue. Does the screen look like this under normal use? Now that you installed the new drivers? There should be an intel graphic control panel, go into it and make sure the color quality is set to 32 bit. right click the desktop and find it in the menu or go into control panel.

Edited by D-Berd, 20 November 2010 - 03:29 PM.

venetic

venetic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the response!
I have Dell Inspiron 1525. Yes, it is WoW but the weird thing is is that I have played it on this computer around 1 year ago, and it worked perfectly fine. When I decided I wanted to come back to it recently, I have gotten this igfx issue. I have done all the things you said and made sure its on 32 bit and the highest resolution and it hasn't done anything, in fact it was all on 32 bit and the highest resolution the entire time.
Additionally, I tried changing from windows basic to windows aero and such and it hasn't done anything either.

EDIT: I would like to add that I followed these steps on the Blizzard website to change my graphics card update to something compatible with their game: http://eu.blizzard.c...articleId=39410

Also, with this update (even though the colors are messed up and I can barely see anything) I haven't gotten the igfx error while on the game, so I think this driver (even though it is not the latest one) fixes the error but messes up the colors on my screen! :D

Edited by venetic, 20 November 2010 - 04:32 PM.