Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death Help!

• Please log in to reply

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm having to pass between SP2 and SP3 because i just have the one pc but anyway what is on my network connections when i update to SP3 is the LAN and Highspeed Internet settings, the dialup is what's missing.

So basically scratch of the Dialup connection and you have what's shown when i update to SP3

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is I am afraid not going to work with you continually switching between an SP3 situation and an SP2.
You stand a great risk of corrupting files.
What you need to do is to go to SP3, check in Device Manager, that is Start, right click the My computer entry, then click properies, then on the window that opens, click hardware, then device manager, then on the view tab, click show hidden devices.
Check there for any warnings.
The ethernet disconnected is a ethernet cable connection and you are not using that.
The 1394 connection is a firewire connection and is not relevant to you.

As the speedtouch is a usb connection you need to check the usb situation at the end of device manager and also check for any unknown devices.
Disconnect ALL usb devices that is possible except the speedtouch, reboot the computer and see if then finds the speedtouch.
The CD from Virgin should I think, have an install program for the device with the necessary USB driver.

If there is no progress on this, I would recommend with hesistancy really, that you leave it on SP2 as continaully installing SP3 abnd then uninstalling it is as risky as running SP2. JUST ensure your anti-virus and firewall are good.

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I know which is why i'm so hesitant to go back onto SP3 when i really don't think it's going to do any good checking the device manager, i'm not exactly brilliant with computers but i know enough how to check for errors and such. Plus if i can't figure it out my partner usually can help me, he doesn't work as a tech anymore but he used to a few years back.

I think i'll just leave it on SP2 my virus and firewall seem to be pretty good, my dad is pretty good with computers and he suggested these ones i'm using. I'll maybe wait until my Dad visits the UK again and get him to see if it can be sorted.

Thank you for all your help though, i am just not really sure if it can actually be fixed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am convinced it can be fixed. If your partner used to be a tech guy, I am sure he should be able to fix it, but then I am surprised he could not fix the Nvidia driver issue.
Good luck with it.

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
he most likely would have been able too if i'd told him about it, let's just say he'll help with computer problems under protest, he pretty much hates being around them now.

I'll give Virgin a call tomorrow morning still like i was planning just incase they can offer any advice

Edited by Shikia, 06 December 2010 - 03:08 PM.

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just to tell everyone thank you for your help, got both problems fixed.

New Nvidia update fixed original problem.
Virgin are going to send me out a new router as the speedtouch 330 series will not work with SP3 they are too old.

So thank you to everyone and feel free to close this thread :D

Edited by Shikia, 07 December 2010 - 07:01 AM.