Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lockups and BSOD's

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
atikmdag.sys
This error seems to be resolved by uninstalling the Catalyst Control Center. According to all the topics I have seen on this the CCC is the root of the issue and not the actual ATI driver.
As for the tcpip error try a SFC.
Go to Search and then type in sfc \scannow and click enter.
Let's see if it will repair the file for you.

Advertisements

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I already uninstalled the CCC part, didn't work. :D
Doing the SFC Scan now, will let you know. If you have any more ideas, please post! Wanna get this fixed as quickly as I can >_>

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Finished the scan now. It says it found corrupt files but were unable to fix them. I looked at the log but it's quite lengthy and I can't understand it, lol.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not good when it can't fix issues. That would mean a repair installation is needed.
Take a look HERE for the instructions on how to do this without losing any of your data.

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I don't have the discs, my comp came with it on the HDD, seperately partitioned, is this ok?
Also, I have an external HDD on the way (Tomorrow hopefully) should I wait for that and back-up before I do this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Backing p would be a good ideal because in most cases the recovery partition that would be on your hd would format the OS partition and return everything to factory like new installation.
I take itthis a name brand system correct?
If sow hat make and model is it?
I can then check to see what options it will give you if you try to use it.

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
HP Pavillion DV6-1215sa. Almost a year old.
Thanks again by the way. :D

Again, there's not much chance of it being hardware, is there?
I can replicate it anytime I want, all I have to do is get the GPU temp to around 60C (Which isn't very high when gaming etc)

Edited by greenman19, 09 December 2010 - 09:03 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That temp is not really that high to be causing the issue. I would be more willing to say a faulty PSU as the stress to power it might cause the issue.

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I recently replaced the fuse in the PSU plug (Early september maybe?)
It does the same thing when running off the battery though.

Edited by greenman19, 09 December 2010 - 09:33 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Below is the instructions for entering the recovery partition on HP systems. I don't know if it will allow you to do a repair installation or it will do a full destructive installation which will format the drive.

HP:

Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.

Since you can not do a system restore, chkdsk found and corrected problems and SFC can not repair or replace faulty system files the evidence points to a problem with the OS.

Advertisements

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Time to try that after I back-up then I guess. I'll let you know how it turns out. Will it delete/repair my video driver as this seems the most likely cause of the problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You stated in your initial post that you had uninstalled and tried several drivers with and without the CCC and still same issue.
Unless you are not completely uninstalling the old drivers then I can't see how that would be the issue at this point.
Is your video built onboard or is it a add on card?
Did you get a drivers disk with it and when using those drivers did yo have a problem?

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
It's not intergrated graphics, as far as I know. It's dedicated. It didn't come with any drivers, they are on the HP site though for this model. I did try completely uninstalling, and it didn't work but who knows? Maybe OS repair will do a better job of it. :3

Edited by greenman19, 09 December 2010 - 12:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being a laptop yes the video is onboard.
That is integrated and not add on like a desktop where you can put a video card in it.
Best to backup the important data and then do the recovery.
Has this problem just started since the driver was updated or has it been going on since you bought the system?

greenman19

greenman19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Fairly recent, since driver changes. Was fine up until then. GPU is onboard but it has dedicated memory and such.

Edited by greenman19, 09 December 2010 - 02:57 PM.