Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multiple BSODS while gaming

• Please log in to reply

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Alright so I performed both of the options that you gave me, but whenever I try to load a video game my computer now powers off (usually when I get to a character select screen for a MMO). This is with the latest psu I have purchased I might add. Thermaltake TR2-RX 850W

Edited by bolbod, 01 January 2011 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You did load the driver I linked to correct?
The WHQL driver seems to be more stable then any other version of the driver.

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yep, i did download and install whql. Did I mention that this new psu shows the same weakness in the +3.3v and +12v rails as my original psu? Yet, when I look in my bios it shows both of those values operating at the proper numbers (3.3v and 12v).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes sometimes Speedfan does not report correctly and that is why we use SIW or HWMonitor to double check the readings.
Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPU's on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.
I know it might seem redundant but better safe then sorry. Hopefully this will give us a more in depth readings on the sensors.

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Here's what I got from cpuid

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Here's what I got from cpuid

Attached Thumbnails

• cpuid.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Temps and volts on the video card are stable so it's not a hardware issue that I can see.
Lets try something.
Can you open the system and move the video card to another PCIe slot and then see if the issue still happens?

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well I moved my video card to the second pcie slot on my mb and got the same result (system powers off right when I get to the character selection screen). So either the slots are bad (which I don't think is the case or else I wouldn't get power at all right?) or its something else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point it really is starting to look like a faulty card.
Other then gaming is the system working properly?
We have completely uninstalled all drivers and started completely fresh with them so that is not the issue.
The card has a fan on it correct and it is turning when the system is turned on?
There is power connected to the card?

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have no power off issues with anything other than my online games. There is a fan on the card and it does turn while the power is on. All the cables that need to be connected to the card are connected as well.

Advertisements

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
This line of thought interests me though, because with my original power supply I got bsods, with my second power supply the computer wouldn't get past the load up screen (prior to windows booting), and the third card only powers off when I turn on a mmo.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep interesting scenario here.
Let me ask are all the PSU's the same manufacturer make and model?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
Can I pitch in with a question guys, is it possible that the MB has the power issue, namely the Voltage Regulator Circuit/Module which is affecting the +3.3V rail, just a thought.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it could Phill but honestly I was trying to steer clear of the possibility as long as I could. :D
3 different PSU's or even two and the chance they both are having issues although not unlikely I find very hard to believe.
We have tested all other hardware and now down to either a video card or mobo. ;)
The lesser of the two evils being the video card. Replacing it with a newer model would solve that but if not then a new video card would also work in a newer or replacement motherboard.
Replacing the mobo and still having the issue would then mean replacing the video card.
Unless you see something I may have missed through all this I can see no other options to take at this point. ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
I was also reluctant to ask but only in case I was way off the mark :D