Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iexplore.exe memory usage increasing at a fast rate.

• Please log in to reply

jameslee

jameslee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
windows xp
ADM Athlon™ 64 processor
4000+ 2.40 ghz 1.00 gb of ram.

When opening web pages and searching the internet while viewing the task manager iexplore.exe
seems to increase in memory at a fast rate. Sometimes it will look as if an update is occurring with
the way the memory increases. At times it will stop and idle with only a small amount of memory increasimg.
I have this web page open at the moment and another web page minimized. task manager is showing iexplore.exe
at 102,1000 memory usage. About 30 mins ago I had 5 web pages minimized and one open. task was showing
iexplore.exe at 250,500 memory usage. when minimizing a webpage the memory usage takes a big drop. but after
the drop the memory starts to increase at a fast rate once a page is restored. I have seen it increase to around
70,000 with one google page open on the desktop. I checked the task manager to see what the memory usage
difference would be when minimizing the same website to see what the memory usage would stop at and each time it was
different. it went from 4,000 minimized to 30,000 with one google webpage open. the second try showed memory
usage at around 60,000 with the same google webpage restored.

I am trying to find out if this is normal or not and what needs to be done if there could be a potential problem.

also..something started happening that causes a new web page to open over the top of a minimized webpage when
clicking a google search shorcut on my desktop. this happens when I have two or more websites open. what happens
is that the minimized page that should stay minimized gets restored without me clicking it and the newly opened
page gets placed infront of the last opened minimized page. (with the new page having a smaller sized window
allowing me to see the last minimized page behind it)

If someone could help me out. would be great.

Edited by jameslee, 22 December 2010 - 07:58 AM.

Advertisements