Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a good portable media player for the anime geek

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i am an anime geek and i have a problem i cant take my computer with me. almoast all of my media is in digital formats .avi and .mkv and a few mpg's. the issue i have is that it is so hard to find a portable media player that can support these formats. especially since people have begun encoding .mkv files with multiple audio and subtitle tracks so you have a choice of the different languages available.

my question is this.

i need a portable media player that does the following

has a dvd player that can read data disks
has a SDHC slot that can support video files

can decode as many commonly used digital formats as possible and has support for matroska container files. as well as divx certification and the ability to play h264.

must support mp3 for audio as well as aac and ogg.

basicaly i am looking for a portable media player that play everything vlc can and is not picky about file formats.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
How about a DVD player with a little laptop wrapped around it ... and with VLC installed?

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i think i found one that looks good. the cowon V5 PMP. it doesent have the dvd player like i wanted but it seems to have the largest format compatability.

tho i cant seem to find alot of information about the device for examply how it handles fansubbed animes with multiple subtitle or external subtitle files as well as dual audio files. it claims multiple subtitle support but nothing about multiple audio track support

but any way this is the device i was looking at if you know anything about it especially the multiple track handeling aspect any info would help.

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B003A4H0WO

Edited by mikeloeven, 14 January 2011 - 06:33 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
$315.55 for a MP3 player with a 4.8-inch screen, 32 GB of storage and no DVD or OS?

$389.99 - lenovo G550 (2958-XFU) NoteBook Intel Celeron 900 (2.2GHz) 15.6" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR3 1066 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel GMA 4500M Webcam Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834146839

Danc20

Danc20

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I think SpywareDr has a good point. Some laptops are even so small (but have a good screen) that it is just worth it to get a laptop if you are buying a mp3 player that expensive.

My suggestion would be to try to go for a Zen. My older brother has used a Zen and watched movies on it before and loved it. He's dropped it (even in the toilet!), banged it, etc, and I think it was a good 3+ years before he gave it up or it gave up on him. I am using a Creative Zen (small screen) and it's pretty good too.

I just looked on their website and they have one that looks like a fairly good screen. $269 for a 7'' screen sounds good to me, although who knows, you could probably get a better deal or find a better media player. My zen has supported .AVI and came with a converter. I think even if you don't get a converter with your zen, you could download it via the internet anyways and converter all your files to .avi or a supported ext. Here's the link: http://us.store.crea.../B004DJQXDW.htm

Edited by Danc20, 25 January 2011 - 11:10 PM.