Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing <windows root>/system32/hal.dll.

• Please log in to reply

whatever4

whatever4

• Pip
  • 2 posts
couldnt update windows xp because of third party startup graphics>so i save a copy of <windows root>/system32/hal.dll. and i tried to delete the third party and i guess i must of did it wrong.now i get missing <windows root>/system32/hal.dll. how do i get to the copy that i saved on my computer?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Where did you save a copy of the file?

If you saved it in say "c:\windows" for example, then the complete path to the copy you made would be "c:\windows\hal.dll". So, if you then wanted to copy that copy back into "c:\windows\system32", the command would be:

copy c:\windows\hal.dll c:\windows\system32

(Of course this command will only work if you had put the copy you made into the "c:\windows" folder).

whatever4

whatever4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i dont know why i even did it!!and yea i put it in c/windows as temp startup.so i open up safe mode with prompt commaned?i thought i knew what i was doing but evadently not.but if i buy a windows xp cd.will i be able to fix it that way if i cant do it this way?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
In order to copy the hal.dll to the correct location, I'd probably boot it from something other than the 'broken' Windows on the hard drive. (Any capable OS that you're comfortable with).