Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wmplayer.exe won't stop on vista

• Please log in to reply

ddooley123

ddooley123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hopefully someone can help!!!!
I noticed a few month ago my cpu has been spiking from 4% to 60%-90%. When I watched TM I noticed wmplayer.exe will appear when the spike occurs and disappears by itself. I do not have WMP running so I am baffled as to why. I changed the bootup settings so it cannot auto launch but continues to do it. I have also scanned for malware as I have also read posting this can also be a virus posing as wmplayer.exe. Another article I have read states this is a known issue after installing Logitech Setpoint software for vista but that has been clean unistalled long ago and I acnniot find any remants. I have tried mulitple solutions to make it stop but have been unsuccessful. If someone could please help with how to stop this or what else I need to try that would be great!

Thanks
DD

Advertisements

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
you can always try renaming windows media player's exe file of course to do this you will need to take ownership and grant yourself full controll. while wmp is integrated into the os it really doesent do anything that windows cant live without (well that is if you have somthing like vlc or winamp to take over file associations). of course you may get a random popup error about a missing file but you can sometimes use that to trace the problem back to whatever is calling wmp at random. also

if you want to go further and completely remove wmp all together there are methods on how to remove it from the windows registry as well as just the program but i havent had much luck finding the definitive guide and i suspect most of the answers you seek are in the depths of irc chatrooms on the ahem blacker side of the hat

but that is exactly why i use windows xp because of the add and remove windows componants menu :D

Edited by mikeloeven, 16 February 2011 - 11:48 AM.

stef_petit

stef_petit

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi ddooley123,

I also would recommend VLC MediaPlayer. I think it's a lot better than Windows MediaPlayer. You don't have to download extra codec packs or something like that stuff. It's automatically building his font cache what means that he is generating and downloading the right codec for the type of file you want to play...

I use it, and i'm very happy of this program.

I hope this was helpfull for you!

Greetings,
Stef

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
yeah good ol vlc plays everything ........ well it has issues when animes have more than 2 subtitle tracks but it doesent crash untill it reaches the end of the file so that kinda makes it just an annoyance.
REM "vlcreset.bat"
taskkill /f /im vlc.exe
"C:\program files\videolan\vlc\vlc.exe"
REM "end of batch"

but aside from that vlc is very stable and completely open source and can be found here.

in addition their tech support forums are staffed by devs and not lobotomized monkeys who simply cut and paste generic cookie cutter responses to your issues

www.videolan.org

Edited by mikeloeven, 24 February 2011 - 05:04 PM.

stef_petit

stef_petit

• Pip
  • 9 posts

in addition their tech support forums are staffed by devs and not lobotomized monkeys who simply cut and paste generic cookie cutter responses to your issues

What do you mean with your last sentence?