Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP3 - Attempts to update software result in looping.

• Please log in to reply

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
If you had told me what we are doing I might have been able to anticipate some of it, but I have not the slightest knowledge of what the .NET Framework is supposed to achieve.
I paused and asked to make sure that I did not proceed further than you wished.

The program has now run and installed and finished with a message that said
" cannot run more than one set up at a time"/

I will be offthe air in 30 mins , am banjaxed.

Edited by RonS2, 01 March 2011 - 04:59 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You sent me a list of the failed downloads
One of them was the Net framework 3.5 SP1. KB951847

The others were updates to that, so clearly that had to be downloaded first, as you cannot update something you do not have.
  • To save the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save
When you clicked the link and the option appeared it is an exe file.
So if you saved it, you then run it and it self installs.

I know how hard this is for you, but I thought that as you had sent the list and on the list was that update AT the top of the list saying this must be installed separately, when you went to the page and saw the SAME update on the link, you would realise what it was.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Its strange really - I'm still not tuned in to the particular sort of stuff that we are doing. The bit that you have just said to me is still difficult to fit into my mindset ideas of what we have,
I recognised that there was a phrase there which said "had to be run first" and pondered on whether it should be run on its own and not with 6 other followups, but I didn't cotton on to the rest. I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't pass a test on what we have just done and certainly not on what we still have to do. Despite having been a computer man for about 34 years and having done various types of jobs within the system/programming/operating/managing areas , I've never had to really think about the computer actually does what it has to. Yes I've programmed the early computers with about 8k of memory and got close to the nitty gritty by programming an analog computer with 1000 multipliers, but right now I'm in trouble trying to force myself to think INTO this problem.
Thanks for your patience and tolerance.
I had not recognised that it HAD to be the first, it was there as far as I was concerned because it just happened to be first in the list. And even now from their titles I cant see that they are follow ons to that.
Back tomorrow

Edited by RonS2, 01 March 2011 - 05:24 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good wishes.

Its not like the old Commodore64 and the Spectrum is it.

Check when you come back that the critical updates DO NOT NOW show that one., that we have done tonight.
Go to the list of criticals and on the next one that is an update to that one we have just done, providing of course it did install, find the KB mumber
then go to that on a direct download
I have done that for you it is here
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Note the instructions pls on the link .

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Mine was an ITT2020 that was about 1969.
The Windows update screen this morning does NOT show anything for a date later than 27th Feb, !
No tick , no red button. The page looks EXACTLY the sanme as the one I emailed to you. first critical update is kb951847.
My first thought - as always - is Have I messed it up ?
I've remembered to reactivate AVAST and Online Armor but that'a all I'v done since it ran last night.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I cannot understand it.
Have you still got that Net Framework KB951847.
If so, please look at the saved file and if there is just the exe file, double click on it. If there is an install click on that.

Also

The program has now run and installed and finished with a message that said
" cannot run more than one set up at a time"/
To save me reading all the way through the thread, do you have windows updates turned on.
Go Control Panel Automatic Updates and turn them off.
It looks as though it had already downloaded and was installing on auto updates when you then dwonloaded and tried to run the exe file.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I do have what I think is the right file. It's called dotnetfx.exe 237,954kb dated 1st march 22:20

Auto updates WAS switched OFF and has stayed that way all the time.

I just took out Online armor Firewall & programs ; also AVAST

Double clicked on the dotnet file.
Time 20:05 Setup is loading installation components.

20:07 Welcome to setup 3.5 SP1 Set Up
Read conditions & Accepted
File Size 111kb
20~08 Install (click)
downloading
20:09 Complete

"Highly recommended to download latest securiy and service packs." (I didn't)

So Looked at Windows Update History again and the last entry is still 27th Feb.

You said it looks as though it has already been uploaded and I agree that it does, but the update history doesn't give us any mention of kb951847 ever having a green tick. 4 of the other 6 have at one time been successful but not 951847. AND How on earth can the update history NOT show anything for last night's efforts and the one I've just done. Could it be recording elsewhere. Would it be written to the Event log as well ?

I've been looking at EVENT Viewer Application logs etc from Control Panel. Tonights efforts generated the only entry since 09:43 this morning as follows

Information Msilnstaller event 11728
Description Product Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Configuration completed successfully.

Clicking on the entry line produces extra screen info :-

File Name msi.dll
Version 3.1.4001.5512
Windows Installer

Looking in the same event log for last nights efforts I can find a similar msilnstaller entry with exactly the same extra screen info from a line that says

22:33 Product RGB9RAST Installation completed successfully.

Is there any way that I can copy the Event viewer files to you ? Or can you hack into my maxhine ? I'm sure you'll find some interesting events in the logs.

Some of the failure entries say "The description for event can not be found" and in the system log "the specified event could not be found" ( where the extra screen program name is netevent.dll).
Also there are a number of separate single YELLOW coloured entries recording a disk hiccup.

Am available tomorrow , but Friday Saturday and Sunday will be very difficult without a prior divorce.

Edited by RonS2, 02 March 2011 - 04:48 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

22:33 Product RGB9RAST Installation completed successfully.

In view of this, now go Windows update.
Critical updates and follow the instuctions.
When you get there keep that anti-virus and firewall turned off.
Disable pop-up blocker. in IE that is on the tools tab, lower menu bar.
Please do NOT use any ANY other application or program whilst the updates are downloading and installing.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Went to Windows Update and obtained 'EXPRESS' update - which was - as ever - 951847.

Started at 21:39 " Initialising
& immediately
Installing
Not a sound from the computer for 20 minutes just the occasional tick from HDD.
Went out of the room for ten minutes and when I came back in -
"The following Updates were NOT installed" ....... 951847

Looked at History and it WAS recorded as a red button 2nd March error 0x8007064C which is the one that 951847 usually gets.

Looking up MS support for this gives a specific method for correcting, looks pretty complex to me, but starts by saying
"Rename the Windows Update tempporary Downloader folder"
and somewhere don the page says something to the effect that when using the renamed folder one should re-download everything before installing - this made remember that at the start of the installation that we've just done in Update it said something to the effect that it was already downloaded , ! (I didn't think anything about it at the time )

Looked at Event Viewer /Application says - 22:06 HotFixInstaller Visualstudio8setup microsoft.net.framework 3.0 kb958483 P2 1033 P3 1612 P4 msi P5f P6 9.0, 31211, 1.0, P7 install P8 x86 P9 xp P10 0
the 'extra' screen details are :-
Event ID 5000
File Name DW20.exe
Version 12.0 6010.5000
Time 22:06

Event Viewer / System also has an entry for 22:06 under Windows Update Manager
Installation failed + usual details about 3.5 SP1 etc and ending with kb951847 and giving error code of 0x8007064C.
Clicking on that line to get the 'extra' info gives -
Event Id 20
File name wuaucpl.cpl.mui
Version 7.4.7600.226
time 22:06

Hope this data is of some use. If not please tell me and it'll save me getting typists cramp.

Edited by RonS2, 02 March 2011 - 04:59 PM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Perhaps worth noting that If in Windows Update you use the search box at the right hand top of the screen and say search for CRITICAL updates it comes up with three different kbs and doesn't include 951847.

Edited by RonS2, 02 March 2011 - 04:58 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Perhaps worth noting that If in Windows Update you use the search box at the right hand top of the screen and say search for CRITICAL updates it comes up with three different kbs and doesn't include 951847.

I completely fail to understand the point you are making.
That search is a search of microsoft. com.
If you look underneath the three it then says see more.
It is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with YOUR computer.

I have unfortunately reached the stage where I cannot offer another solution.
We have tried any number of things including a reinstall of the Microsoft installer.
A direct download
Disabling the anti-virus.
Perhaps someone else may pick the thread up and see if they can help.
I would however suggest you try the following
1. LEAVE the net Framework updates and see if another will install.
2. If it will not again disable your anti-virus and try then
3. As a last resort try a system restore to the date when they were working. BE AWARE that you will lose everything installed since that date.
4. There have been reports ofthe Net Framework failing when indexing is turned off - although it never has on any computer I have worked on - try turning it on.

Good luck
Sorry I could not solve it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 March 2011 - 06:29 PM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank You for your extremely patient and prolonged assaults on the most stubborn of problems, as I've said before you have taught me a great deal about the innards of computers and I appreciate your help.

At 84 it's a bit late to try to put the extra knowledge to good use but I'm sure I already benefit from it. Hopefully I won't need to use it on another computer when this ones on the rubbish heap.

All the best for the future.