Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to power on wifi! The buttons not responding

• Please log in to reply

beekeeper

beekeeper

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
The problem relates to a Medion 96350 laptop (aka Wim2140). It is just over threes old and used to run Vista. The hard drive has been wiped and Windows 7 installed.

Now the multimedia buttons don't work, one of these buttons is the power button for the wireless card. There is a package called Launch Manager which includes an executable wbutton.exe which I take to be the software that would power on the wifi if the button were detected.

Windows 7 detects the wifi and of course the diagnostics helpfully say power on the wifi.

I've tracked down various versions of Launch Manager and none of them work - other function key combinations work though to change the volume or screen brightness so it looks like Launch Manager is working.

The bios contains two options for the wifi card: off or last state, so I can't power on the wifi card there.

I contacted Medion and the advice was to remove the wifi card from device manager and try the power button again but that didn't help....

In the meantime I've tried using a USB wifi dongle but its performance is woeful, it drops out every 5 or 10 minutes.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wireless.jpg

Advertisements