Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Get .MPG File to Open

• Please log in to reply

Phriend

Phriend

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Someone just sent me a .MPG file and I can't get it to open for the life of me.

It wouldn't open in Windows Movie Maker or Camtasia Studio.

Heck, it wouldn't even open in a program specifically designed to convert .MPG's into .WMV's!

Anyone happen to know what I can do to solve this problem? (I suspect I'm missing a codec... or something).

The error message I seem to be getting is "No codec available to render this file."

Any ideas?

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
first try this
http://www.videolan.org/
it's a very good media player

Phriend

Phriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Nope, that didn't work. I have attached the file below.

I'm pretty sure the audio is in MPEG1 -- does that mean that the video would also be in MPEG1?

If any of you are able to take the attached file and convert it to a different video format and then re-upload it here, it would really be appreciated.

Attached Files

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
the file is damaged. a video file should be much bigger. you should get a new copy.

Phriend

Phriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Wow, thanks dude! I re-downloaded it and everything seems to work fine now. Thank you!!