Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

thanks for the help......

• Please log in to reply

ogodhelpme

ogodhelpme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
no. it gives me the option to boot windows xp or windows xp setup

Advertisements

ogodhelpme

ogodhelpme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
and then when it starts the setup it starts then just goes to the blue screen. like i said i installed a bunch of drivers that are probably the wrong ones lol and on the blue screen it says things about the hard drive and drive controllers..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then it sounds like the boot sequence is not set correctly. Can you go back into the bios and recheck that. Once you get it to boot to the cdrom I would suggest a full format and fresh install with the new xp pro cd you stated you just bought.
This will completely erase the illegal copy you have installed leaving your system with no OS until the new legal install is done installing.

ogodhelpme

ogodhelpme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
ok i will try it again. but im pretty sure its set to the cd rom . and yes thats what i wanted. to delete everything. lol

ogodhelpme

ogodhelpme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
so i go to the boot set up. and i have a choice from... usb cd/dvd or cdrom slim set.. and every time after i save it . it goes to a black screen with the blinking line in the corner.. then 30 seconds later it goes to a black screen where i can either start windows black.. or start windows xp pro set up.. then i click set up then it goes to the blue set up screen then all of a sudden it goes to that blue screen with the problems... its like this thing is toying with me lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This new disk you bought at a retail store or online?
If not then where did it come from?

ogodhelpme

ogodhelpme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i got it from stapples

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In bios your sequence should be
cdrom
hd

By saving it you are clicking F10 to Save and Exit and then it should ask you to click Y to confirm.
Then what is suppose to happen the system completely reboots and at the second black post screen it ask you to push any key to boot to cdrom.
Once you push that key then the cdrom takes over and you are presented with the XP setup screens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something I just thought of... is the disk you bought a full version or is it a upgrade version?

ogodhelpme

ogodhelpme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
hahaha.. upgrade.... lol im guessing im a retard and have to get the full version first lol

Advertisements

ogodhelpme

ogodhelpme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
screw it. would my acer travelmate 7720 be able to install window 7??? maybe when i go back to stapples i will trade it in for windows 7? think that would be a good idea?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

hahaha.. upgrade.... lol im guessing im a retard and have to get the full version first lol

Yep you need a full version to completely format and do a fresh install.
I should have made that clear earlier. I apologize for that mistake. :D

would my acer travelmate 7720 be able to install window 7

What OS is presently on it?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Xp black is on it.
He can not upgrade to 7 from that, has to have a full version.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My confused mind just reread it and I am now back on it.
HFCG is correct you will need a full version of XP Professional and not the upgrade version.
Firstly as he said it won't upgrade and secondly as you have seen the upgrade is not a bootable disk.
That is why you keep getting the choose between setup and the other version.
Sorry I was running a little behind on that and should have caught it sooner.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Having had a look at the Acer site it appears the 7720 Travelmate can run Windows7
http://www.acer.co.u...content/drivers
The drivers are listed.
However, as you cannot verifiy your exact installation on Microsoft Upgrade Advisor, as you cannot get online with the Travelmate for the Microsoft analysis to run on your Acer. I recommend you go to the Acer site and check your actual computer against the SNID
On this link
http://www.acer.co.u.../online-support

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 March 2011 - 08:02 PM.