Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One Connects, One Does Not

• Please log in to reply

Mihr

Mihr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Since I spend the majority of the week taking care of my boyfriends grandmother, I figured I would just take my computer to her house because hers is old and can't handle gaming.

I simply took the ethernet cable that connects to her computer and plugged it into mine. My computer does not pick up that there is a connection. I have Cisco Network Magic installed on my computer and it has the settings for my home network so I don't know if that could possibly be interfering. It should be as simple as just plugging in the ethernet cable shouldn't it?

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

It should be as simple as just plugging in the ethernet cable shouldn't it?

Normally - a couple of things to try

1) Powercycle - see below
2) The ISP may use MAC address for auth onto there service - can you supply some details - make and model of modem / router and ISP
------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 30 seconds.
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------