Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One way traffic

• Please log in to reply

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, it REALLY sounds like it's just permission problems. I doubt it's that simple, but here's something you can try. It does somewhat make sense, however if it works, it still doesn't explain why the desktop can already always access the laptop.
Since the computers are on a workgroup, even if you have the exact same account named Administrator, using the exact same password, these are still two seperate accounts, and MAY be part of the problem. This being said, try this...

As example, say the desktop is named "desktop", and the laptop is named "laptop". The Administrator account(s) (or any accounts) would be as follows:
desktop\Administrator
and
laptop\Administrator

If on the desktop, using the permissions on the shared resources, gave full control to user: laptop\Administrator then that user "should" have full control. This may be just another "feeble" attempt, but it's worth a shot. Let me know how it goes.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Advertisements

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi i sort of know what you are saying but i have not got the faintest idea where i would find these things to change, if somebody can explain that would be great,
BTW thanks for the post
cheers

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Being that I think you are using XP Home, I may be wrong about a few things, I've never been a Home user so you will have to forgive me if some instructions are different.

On the machine that has the folder that is being shared, right-click on the folder, go do Security tab at top. Add the user "laptop\Administrator" (or whatever your computer name\username is). Hit ok, and that user should have access.

Greazy Mcgeezy

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz: :help:
Hi guys have now sorted prob out but would like to hear what antivirus software is recommended and do i need a firewall on win xp, with the belkin router switch which is supposed to have one built in to it?

Anyway what i did was reformat and install a high street retail version of win xp home and now it is working all the time everytime!!!!

My conclusion is that as the laptop was second hand and installed with HP branded win xp home Either
1 the previous owner somehow corrupted the win xp installation
2 that HP modify the win xp software so that it may result in this not working correctly (i didnt have the restore disk to do a fresh HP install so cant really comment on this)
but wanted to share these thoughts so they may be able to help somebody else!!!
Also thanks to everybody that has contributed to this thread your help has been truly appreciated
CHEERS ;)