Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone help me please?

• Please log in to reply

noob1

noob1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry, im a total noob. But when i try to quote someone a certain site, it quotes a line out or above the quote box, but everyone elses just appears inside the box, what am i doing wrong?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
Not exactly sure what you are looking for, but...

Please see if this will help. How to quote someone

And welcome to the forums.

noob1

noob1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you for welcoming me to the forums and for your help. But im still having problems quoting correctly, ill try to explain it a little better.

You see how all text is within the box? well, on another site i use, theres a line of text above and completely outside the box that would say, (i'll use the box above as an example) "123runner said, Not exactly,", above the box and then agian along with your full comment inside the box, but everyone elses quotes dont have that unneeded line oft ext above the box, they must know a trick to make it not appear, and just show up inside the box like its supposed to, but im too embarrassed to ask on that forum, so i guess im asking if you or anyone knows what the trick is, thanks again.

Edited by noob1, 02 April 2011 - 05:27 PM.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Thank you for welcoming me to the forums and for your help. But im still having problems quoting correctly, ill try to explain it a little better.

You see how all text is within the box? well, on another site i use, theres a line of text above and completely outside the box that would say, (i'll use the box above as an example) "123runner said, Not exactly,", above the box and then agian along with your full comment inside the box, but everyone elses quotes dont have that unneeded line oft ext above the box, they must know a trick to make it not appear, and just show up inside the box like its supposed to, but im too embarrassed to ask on that forum, so i guess im asking if you or anyone knows what the trick is, thanks again.

Every site I have posted on has a "Preview" feature which lets one see how the post will appear once submitted, but without doing so.

Usually, a "Quote" button below each previous post in a thread will allow one to quote that response, as was done with the above. A different icon situated above the text box when responding should allow material which has been copied and pasted to be highlighted and turned into a quote; these two different commands may give slightly different results on that site (as it did below here), and testing with the "Preview" feature would confirm that. Just don't hit "Submit" until you have things the way you want them.

Actually, this is an original sentence of mine turned into a 'quote' using the icon above; shown only as an example of the second quoting method. Note the difference with the shorter 'explanation' ( Just "Quote") accompanying the message inside the box

Hope that helps.