Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with Mac

• Please log in to reply

dstcoyote22

dstcoyote22

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I am usually good with PC computers and have learned how to fix common problems with them, but I'm not very knowledgable with Macs.

my friend has an old eMac that's running Mac OS X 10.3

she has been having internet problems, especially with facebook, and paying her bills. On facebook, she can't comment on any status's or chat, and some sites like Metallica.com aren't working, they redirect her to some Verizon page. Neither firefox (which can't update any further due to operating system being too old) or safari make a difference, and facebook is even worse on safari.

I have tried running ClamXav for the system to look for viruses, but it didn't find any.

I am just not sure what to do here, is the operating system just getting too old?

This particular computer has at least 256MB of RAM, so I know it can't upgrade any further than OS X 10.4

Any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Doomdadeath

Doomdadeath

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I am usually good with PC computers and have learned how to fix common problems with them, but I'm not very knowledgable with Macs.

my friend has an old eMac that's running Mac OS X 10.3

she has been having internet problems, especially with facebook, and paying her bills. On facebook, she can't comment on any status's or chat, and some sites like Metallica.com aren't working, they redirect her to some Verizon page. Neither firefox (which can't update any further due to operating system being too old) or safari make a difference, and facebook is even worse on safari.

I have tried running ClamXav for the system to look for viruses, but it didn't find any.

I am just not sure what to do here, is the operating system just getting too old?

This particular computer has at least 256MB of RAM, so I know it can't upgrade any further than OS X 10.4

Any help would be appreciated

Hi dstcoyote22, I have had my ibook for about 6 years now and i can solve common issues like this. It is as you said; it needs to be updated. If you can get it to 10.4 everything should function fine as for the emac its far too old. Easy said easy done. I would just get a ibook on ebay now they are rather looking cheeper than yesterdays prices.