Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First computer built, odd noise + driver issue

• Please log in to reply

james1984

james1984

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Fairly stumped and hoping to get a little insight on an issue I'm having.

Just built my first computer - it was easier than I thought and it mostly runs well, but I'm having a couple problems.

MB: CPU AMD PH II X4 965 3.4G AM3 RT

Vid card: sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.1

If you need any other info just ask - this is my first post on any kind of tech-support forum.

First issue: this computer is a ton more powerful than my last one and I was excited to play some of my games at max settings. Loaded up Empire Total War and my machine ran every setting on maximum with no lag whatsoever. I was thrilled. However, during this processor-intensive exercise, a whirring/buzzing noise started to come from my computer. It's not loud, but it worries me. I believe I have it narrowed down to the motherboard. When I press gently on the i/o shield on the back, the noise stops, and returns when I take my hand away. The noise also goes away quickly after I stop doing anything processor-intensive, and it has happened playing a couple different games. At no point is any part of my machine more than very slightly warm and every fan in there (5 in all) is running seemingly fine.

Could this be the MB vibrating/fan causing it to vibrate? Maybe I should go back in and tighten the MB screws slightly? Or is this normal and I shouldn't worry? I am not exactly rich and am paranoid about breaking anything in my brand new machine that I love to death already. I also wonder could this damage anything in the machine and should I avoid processor-intensive situations until I've fixed it?

Second issue: I have tried several times, using several different methods including a clean install to update the driver for that video card with this one: http://www.sapphiret...1.aspx?psn=0006 (the top one, released on March 30 2011) No matter what I do I just cannot install that driver and end up having to reinstall the driver from the CD again. I'm a bit clueless at this point. I have had a couple crashes due to vertical brownish-gray lines on the screen, and from my poking around on google I determined updated drivers would probably fix it, but I can't seem to do that.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Edited by james1984, 12 April 2011 - 11:44 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi james1984, :D

All you should hear are the fans humming and maybe HDD activity. Should be no vibrating noises.

Before doing any work inside the PC, turn off the power at the wall socket and take anti static measure by touching an unpainted part of the chassis.

Check first that the rear exhaust fans are secure.

Did you do the following when building.

Change the I/O shield from the case for the one supplied with the Mobo, inserting it from the inside of the case.

If the case came with pre installed stand offs, did you check to make sure they were tight or if you installed your own, were they tight.

Did the stand offs match exactly the screw holes in the Mobo, have the exact amount with no extras,

Are all the screws installed in the Mobo. Check that one has not been overtightened and stripped a thread.

Was the load lever on the CPU housing fully clicked into the retaining notch.

Check that the CPU fan is attached properly.

GENTLY try moving the cooler. If it is not firm try tightening the screws slightly and check again.

Second issue: I have tried several times, using several different methods including a clean install to update the driver for that video card

Video drivers are not my forte, but try this as a first step.

This is from Sapphire support.

Question: I get the following error: "Zero display service error" during the installation of ATI video drivers. How to do ?
Answer: Install everything related to ATI from your computer(very important to erase everything related to ATI). Go to Add/Remove Programs and use the ATI Install utility. 1. Then go to Control Panel 2. Select the System Icon 3. Choose the Hardware tab 4. Click on Device manager. 5. Here check out Display Adaptors (double click on it to extend the list of adaptors available). - does it say Radeon 'your model' Series? - does it say Radeon 'your model' Series Secondary? If so, disable the first one on top by right clicking on it and choosing disable. Your computer will want to reboot. Let it reboot. After the computer reboots 1. Go to www.amd.com and download the most recent driver package for your card. 2. Install it. Once the installation is complete your computer will reboot and the problem should be fixed. It is possible that you will not remove everything related to ATI and still remain some hidden files somewhere,

Make sure you are downloading the correct driver package and for the correct OS and Bit version.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Been some time since we heard from you.

Have you resolved your problem?