Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clicking on Websites Cause Strange Happenings

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

msbug

msbug

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
All of a sudden I am getting weird things when I click on a website address when I am surfing. Either this happens,

1a ‹���������˙˙��������� 0 HTTP/1.1 302 Found Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 18:15:40 GMT Cache-Control: private, max-age=0, no-cache P3P: policyref="http://info.yahoo.co...om/w3c/p3p.xml", CP="CAO DSP COR CUR ADM DEV TAI PSA PSD IVAi IVDi CONi TELo OTPi OUR DELi SAMi OTRi UNRi PUBi IND PHY ONL UNI PUR FIN COM NAV INT DEM CNT STA POL HEA PRE LOC GOV" Location: http://www.animalshe...3799_rS_pC.html Vary: Accept-Encoding Connection: close Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 The document has moved here.

or the box comes up to open or save a file. I have to keep clicking like 10 times before I get it to work. It doesn't happen everytime, but about 7 out 10. It just started.

Also it seems like since I starting using Avast, it takes longer to open up a website. Thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like your system has malware on it...
Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

if your still having issues after the malware pros give you a all clean...come back here and we will see if we can get it straightened out out

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I did Malwarebytes and Avast scans and nothing. I thought maybe this had to do with some application or something. It comes up with You have chosen to open file which is a application/octet-stream from http://search.yahoo.com what do you want to do open or save file. I wonder if it has to do with Avast, I was trying to look into this, I don't understand a whole lot, but o the Avast forum, I found an old post with the same problem and it only cleared up when they shut off the web shield. It doesn't happen everytime and usually if I keep clicking it will take me to the site correctly.

Edited by msbug, 26 April 2011 - 04:58 PM.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
To experiment I cut off the webshield and everything worked fine, including the pages loaded quicker. I put it back on and the problem happened. So I can't leave this off because of threats. What do I do. I use to have AVG 8.5 and didn't want to upgrade and downloaded Avast for a couple of months now. Not sure I really like it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
switch back to AVG...

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I had AVG 8.5 and I needed to update because this version wouldn't be supported anymore. I kept reading that AVG was now more of a resource hog, so Avast was recommended. I guess I will switch then. Thank you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we have one of the techs here that says that but that has not been my experience with it...just get the newest free version...

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

we have one of the techs here that says that but that has not been my experience with it...just get the newest free version...

:unsure: :) :yes: