Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how can i make soylatte ppc the default JVM on osx 10.4.X

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i have been having some issues with modified java applications black-screening on my mac. i was informed this is because the class files i was adding were compiled in java 6 well i downloaded openjdk7-macppc-2009-12-16-b4.tar.bz2 AKA soylatte and extracted the binaries. now i know almost nothing about macs i am mostly a windows tech but i just happen to own an ibook because it is useful for certain things. so any way there is a java settings app in utilities that allows you to specify the default version of java to be used but i dont know how to make soylatte appear in that list :)

upgrading the os is not an option due to some hardware issues

purchasing a new apple is out of my price-range and really not worth it for the few things i use if for

but it is an ibook G4 running osx 10.4.X

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Note: I don't own a Mac.
Go to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/ and make a symlink from the soylatte directory to "CurrentJDK".

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i dont know the symlink command for darwin only linkd for windows

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Open a terminal, then do:
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/
sudo mv CurrentJDK CurrentJDK.bak
sudo ln -fs [java directory here] CurrentJDK

Edited by devper94, 30 April 2011 - 06:45 AM.