Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes on video games. RAM related?

• Please log in to reply

newbtoob

newbtoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I downloaded VEW and followed your instructions but every time I hit run, notepad opens up and it says "Cannot find the C:\VEW.txt.file. What should I do about that?

Also, I have been playing a decent amount of starcraft 2 and rift the past two days and my computer hasn't crashed. I used to be lucky if I could play fifteen minutes of Rift or SC2. Right before this change happened I uninstalled all my graphics card drivers and reinstalled fresh ones from the website. Immediately after reinstalling them the games would crash in seconds, so I figured it didnt work, but then I restarted my computer and since then it hasnt crashed. Do you think that could have fixed it? I don't want to jump the gun, I trust this computer about as far as I can throw it, but not crashing for two days during video games is extremely abnormal.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Very well could have been the graphics driver causing all this since the issue happened usually when playing the game.
As I said back on post 17 it could be a driver that is causing this. I think the issue is a either a faulty install of the graphics driver or maybe even a older driver that seemed to have failed. You said you installed fresh ones form the website so I take it you got the newest one available correct?

newbtoob

newbtoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yeah, I got the most recent driver package for my certain graphics card. The driver package I downloaded was released on April 27, 2011, so it should (and seems to be) up to date and everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah that is the one. :unsure:
Lets give it a day or two more and see what happens. If everything works good then we will consider this issue resolved. Great detective work on your part. :)

newbtoob

newbtoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Alright, I'll keep you posted. Thanks a ton for helping me out so much. I've learned a ridiculous amount about my computer in the past few days

newbtoob

newbtoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well, I think the problem has been fixed. rshaffer61, you have my thanks! I know exactly where I'm coming next time I have a computer question.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear and Congratulations newbtoob. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :yes: :unsure:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible