Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't/can't pull up internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

thasip31

thasip31

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I need help!! About a week ago, my computer/laptop stopped pulling up my internet explorer. When I click on it, it blinks once in the background like it's going to pull up the page, but doesn't. Please tell me what I need to do to get it running again. Thank you

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi and Welcome -
You must be posting from another computer then, so is this connected to the same router you normally use ?
Is this also with the same Internet Service Provider ?
Can you normally connect wirelessly in one household network or via direct Ethernet cable ?

Thank You

thasip31

thasip31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am using local wireless. It had never happened before. Like I said, I turn my computer on, and when I click on Internet Explorer, it blinks real quick like out wants to pull up the page, but doesn't.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking. Then try IE and see if the issue happens there. If so it is not a driver issue but a problem with either the Nic or your network settings.

thasip31

thasip31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
app has failed to start because MFC42u.dll was not found. reinstalling the application may fix this keeps popping up everytime I run that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

thasip31

thasip31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
This is really driving me crazy. Okay, I see that you noted that the first thing needed a space, so i put one in. Now it keeps popping up that I need to insert my Windows Professional Service Pack 3 Cd. I dont have that at all. PLEASE HELP!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Start reading the instructions under this line above.
If you don't have Windows CD....

thasip31

thasip31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have done everything that was asked. But it keeps asking me to insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD. Did everything that was said prior to this.

thasip31

thasip31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
And what is MFC42u.DLL? It is saying something about it was not found and reinstalling the app may fix the problem

Advertisements

thasip31

thasip31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Also when I restart my laptop, I get the message.. DefWatch.exe-Application Error. It states the exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812afb.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

mfc42u.dll is the module that contains the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) functions used by applications created in Visual C++. Non-system processes like mfc42u.dll originate from software you installed on your system. As most applications store data in your system's registry, it is likely that your registry has suffered fragmentation and accumulated harmful errors. It is recommended that you .
mfc42u.dll

DefWatch is a Norton AntiVirus program. I'd recommend uninstalling Norton and using something like MSE, Avast or Avira

thasip31

thasip31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Didn't get the rest of that message about mfc42u.dll. And I can't seem to uninstall the Norton program

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Norton's site and download then run Norton Removal Tool that is appropriate for your version of Norton's you had. Let us know if it works for you.

thasip31

thasip31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I can't go to any site. The internet explorer homepage won't pull up.