Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer Stops Working

• Please log in to reply

PorygonX

PorygonX

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this.

Anyways, my OS is Windows 7.

Recently, a process called "Windows Explorer" started crashing on me. If I restarted my computer, it'd e fine but it would happen again. I have also encountered several BSODS. Also random processes would stop working with the error message appearing. Once, the "error reporting" screen stopped responding too. I didn't think that was possible.

I have now concluded that this is NOT normal.

I've regularly scanned my computer with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials every 2 weeks, deleting whatever they detect. I suspect this is happening from the important updates I installed.

My laptop is less than 2 months old and I don't know why this is happening.

Thanks .

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi PorygonX :)
Do you have a restore point before these issues started;
"How to"
Open System Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore.‍ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
"What it does"
System Restore uses restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time, without affecting personal files. For more information.

Another option is uninstalling the updates that installed previous to the issue/s starting and then manually reinstall them one at a time and see if you can identify a particular update causing the issue/s.

If you suspect your system may have a malware issue I suggest you check out the self help guide at the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if after following the guide you believe your system may still be infected you need to start a new topic there and not post any malware logs on this forum as they are not used here, provide them with a link to this thread to show them what if any steps have been taken.
Once you get the all clear from the malware guys if the issue is not resolved return here and someone will assist you.

If after doing all of the above you are still having the same issue/s I would return the computer and have it sorted by the supplier to prevent voiding your warranty.

PorygonX

PorygonX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have restored my computer.

But when I go to turn it off, it doesn't have the option of 'turn off without installing updates'

I don't want to install the updates yet. Any reason on how i can do this?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

But when I go to turn it off, it doesn't have the option of 'turn off without installing updates'

This is normal, may I ask why you do not wish to install the updates!

Yes, but to advise you would be reckless :) the updates have already been downloaded and not allowing them to install may render your system inoperable.

DarkSchalie

DarkSchalie

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, meaning press them at the same time.

In the lower right hand corner, there is a red button. Click it, and there is a regular Shut Down.

No reason not to install updates though.