What is Essential Cleaner?
The Malwarebytes research team has determined that Essential Cleaner is a fake anti-malware application. These so-called "rogues" use intentional false positives to convince users that their systems have been compromised. Then they try to sell you their software, claiming it will remove these threats. In extreme cases the false threats are actually the very trojans that advertise or even directly install the rogue. You are strongly advised to follow our removal instructions below.
How do I know if I am infected with Essential Cleaner?
This is how the main screen of the rogue application looks:
You will find these icons in your taskbar:
And see these warnings:
How did Essential Cleaner get on my computer?
Rogue programs use different methods for spreading themselves. This particular one was installed by a trojan.
How do I remove Essential Cleaner?
Our program Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can detect and remove this rogue application.
- Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
If you are unable to do this from the infected computer directly, transfer the file from another computer.
- Download the mbam-setup.exe to your desktop.
- Now make sure extensions are shown. To do this, please look here
- Then rename the mbam-setup.exe: to explorer.exe:
- Then launch explorer.exe in order to install Malwarebytes' Anti-malware
- Once Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is installed, navigate to your Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder and locate the mbam.exe in there:
rename it to explorer.exe
- Now doubleclick explorer.exe to launch Malwarebytes' Anti-malware.
- Click the "Update" tab and click the "Check For updates" button.
- Once the program has loaded and updates were downloaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart, so please allow MBAM to restart.
- The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Is there anything else I need to do to get rid of Essential Cleaner?
- No, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware removes Essential Cleaner completely.
How would the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware help protect me?
We hope our application has helped you eradicate this malicious software. If your current security solution let this infection through, you might please consider purchasing the FULL version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for additional protection.
As you can see below the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware would have protected you against the Essential Cleaner rogue. It would have warned you before the rogue could install itself, giving you a chance to stop it before it became too late.
Technical details for experts
Signs in a HijackThis log:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\j8603FiFdMfO8130.exe O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [j8603FiFdMfO8130] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\j8603FiFdMfO8130.exe
Note: the filename is random
Alterations made by the installer:
File System =============== In the existing folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data Adds the file j8603FiFdMfO8130"="20:54 18/05/11 208 bytes Adds the file j8603FiFdMfO8130.exe"="20:45 18/05/11 522240 bytes Registry =============== [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce] "j8603FiFdMfO8130"="'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\j8603FiFdMfO8130.exe'"
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 184.108.40.2060 www.malwarebytes.org Database version: 6610 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 5/18/2011 9:09:20 PM mbam-log-2011-05-18 (21-09-20).txt Scan type: Quick scan Objects scanned: 128212 Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 34 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 1 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 1 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 1 Memory Processes Infected: c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\j8603fifdmfo8130.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> 1052 -> Unloaded process successfully. Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\j8603FiFdMfO8130 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Value: j8603FiFdMfO8130 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\j8603fifdmfo8130.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
As mentioned before the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware could have protected your computer against this threat.
We use different ways of protecting your computer(s):
- Dynamically Blocks Malware Sites & Servers
- Malware Execution Prevention