Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System fails to fully load

• Please log in to reply

androsnick

androsnick

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, similar topics have been covered but not identical so some advice would be good please.
When the pc (HP Compaq desktop, 2 yrs old - the problem is recent!) is booted up, it goes through the normal processes whach are well known and too long and tedious to list at the moment, but the wallpaper appears and then the shortcut icons on the desktop start appearing but there are one or two icons (not usually the same icons) that don't fully load (the basic shortcut is there but without the picture [just for example and not necessarily the icons affected - a blue Z for zonealarm, the fox on a globe for firefox etc, instead you just get the basic windows generated shortcut icon]) The task bar in the bottom right doesn't have anything (other than the clock I think - will check next time it happens). It will sit like this for ...? well several minutes/indefinitely, I usually get bored and try the only known cure (to me) which I will describe in a moment. The screen stays as described above, the cursor appears ok and is moveable but it doesn't operate if clicked on an icon, and if hovered over the START button - bottom left - it instantly reverts to the 'hour-glass' busy shape.
My only known cure - press ctrl/alt/del then in the task manager select ShutDown from the drop down menu (the cursor works ok here), then Log off Administrator - after a few seconds a box appears - explorer.exe (why can't I remember the wording - I've seen it often enough!!) needs to be shut down because it isn't working, click shut down and the screen goes to the blue 'administrator' screen. Click on my name and everything loads tickety boo!
I have carried out a CCleaner scan, MalawareBytes scan, Spybot, and AVG antivirus scan but as the problem is somewhat erratic I can't say that any of these did any good (no obvious threats found but plenty of 'junk' was cleaned). I have just -today- removed and replaced AVG antivirus as it was freezing the pc whenever it updated but even after it's full removal and purging of the post AVG system, when it rebooted - same problem as above. Will supply any further info as requested but the e-mail was long enough already :-)
Nick

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what happens if you boot into safe mode...if everything works normally its usually a driver issue
if it is the same problems in safe mode...repair xp...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

if you don't have a xp cd

Please download ARCDC.exe from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. ..pick The Windows version of the system you need it for
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files if you want...not sure then you don't need any
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

androsnick

androsnick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the suggestions - I'd only just read the 'XP repair' page, I might have to try that (I haven't tried booting to safe mode recently as the problem is erratic, obviously a failure to boot properly in safe mode would prove a fault but success in safe mode might only mean it didn't do it that time. I guess I could boot in safe mode for a while then carry on to full boot?)
Anyway, thanks again - I will see if this resolves it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
boot into safe mode with networking...that will allow you to use the internet ...