Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 ISP's, 3 complicators, 1 won't connect to 1

• Please log in to reply

HiddenMountain

HiddenMountain

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings all,

I looked for the appropriate place to post this but it is such an odd problem that I hope someone here can help us out...

....the story so far....

We live way off grid, generate our power from our creek, and have had Hughesnet ISP for the last 4 years. It's been way better than nothing, but it has always had such a high ping rate that a VOIP phone was out of the question. We have no cell service around here and the nearest landline terminates 1o miles from here, so VOIP was our only option.

Recently, a LOS "High Speed" ISP has been set up in our area and we signed up.

We kept Hugenet "just in case".

The 2 desktops at the house work fine on either system. (No, they're not connected. It's one or the other only, not brave enough to combine the two.)

The problem is with my laptop. I take it with me on the road for work, so it is always on a WIFI somewhere, and I have always hooked it up, to a LAN cable at home, to Hughesnet. It works fine that way.

But I can't get it to work on the new LOS ISP.... I've poked around the inner sanctum of my laptop but am too unfamiliar with it's guts and don't want to fubar it....

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanking you all in advance,

Jon

Advertisements