Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Volume Licensing vs. Newegg

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi,

I thought volume licensing for Windows 7 Professional would have been cheaper ($195.00 - Microsoft) than buying retail at NewEgg ($129.99 - NewEgg)? If this is not the case, what is the benefit of buying volume licensing then? I entered 10 licenses and the unit price was still much higher than NewEgg's

Edited by 01010011, 14 June 2011 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The link you provided for NewEgg is for a single license OEM version of Win 7 Pro.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for your reply.

Ok, help me understand this: lets say I wanted to build 10 computers for 10 customers. In this case I would have 2 choices - either purchase 10 copies from NewEgg @ $129.99 each; or purchase 10 licenses from Microsoft @ $195.00 each, i.e. one license for each computer. I'm I correct here, or I'm I misunderstanding how volume licensing works?

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
I think you are comparing apples to oranges here, the OEM version is usually cheaper, and has some basic restrictions on installing. The volume license product is a non-OEM version, and the non-OEM version is usually more expensive, and does not have the same restrictions. OEM is usually tied to ONE motherboard, and is not allowed to be installed on another.
OEM does not have a fancy box, or any other kind of packaging, while the non-OEM does have the fancy retail packaging, but the most important aspect is the hardware restriction. You can google for all of the differences, but I believe this is the main one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This might help about VLing straight from Microsoft HERE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for the reply Crowbar6761

OEM is usually tied to ONE motherboard, and is not allowed to be installed on another.

Ok! So with one (1) non-OEM license, how many computers can I install this on? This SuperUser post seams to contradict this.

Edited by 01010011, 14 June 2011 - 02:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
1 OEM lic is good for ONE installation.
1non EOM lic is go for your system. THE EULA for Microsoft states the lic can only be installed on one system unless you are purchasing a Volume Lic from Microsoft.

Even with the superUser you link to it says
Windows OEM - One machine and dies with that machine. Windows Upgrade - Upgrades a single copy of Windows to the latest version. Windows Fully packaged Product - Only one machine, but can be moved to another machine (can only be installed at one place at any one time). Windows 7 Family Pack - 3 licences for different computers at any one time.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thank you for your replies rshaffer61.

Ok, so if I purchase one (1) volume license (Microsoft Open License, Corporate, no pricing level, license only, $195), how many computers can I install this on at the same time?

If I can only install 1 copy of Windows 7 on 1 machine at a time, then I fail to see how volume licensing is cheaper than the OEM version. In my case, I plan on building systems for customers and would like to give them the genuine Windows disc anyway. I hope I have selected the correct options when selecting the volume license, because I still fail to see where I can save money by buying volume licensing.

Edited by 01010011, 14 June 2011 - 03:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you provide a link to what you are looking to purchase?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Can you provide a link to what you are looking to purchase?

Sure, below is the link and screen shot of what I want to purchase:
Link: Microsoft License Advisor

Posted Image

Edited by 01010011, 14 June 2011 - 03:40 PM.