Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(OTL Included) Antimalware Doctor Virus Infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ok for the hidden files select folder options within control panel and you should see this
[attachment=50851:Capture.GIF]

As for antivirus - well my biased opinion would be either Avast free or if you want to pay then the Antivirus/firewall suite. This auto updates every 4 hours or so, both free and paid versions. This is load and forget - well for me anyway

Again Malwarebytes paid version has the advantage of real time monitoring and it plays well with Avast

Advertisements

savedglory

savedglory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you so much for all your help and recommendations! Avast is offering a pretty good sale right now, so I may just go for it. :)

Also, I don't have much to give, but I'm sending a little something as thanks through PayPal. Truly appreciate your kindness and effort.

savedglory

savedglory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Before I could even download Avast or look into the paid Malwarebytes software, I got this random popup that just came up while I was browsing my gmail and writing in Word:

CL RC Engine3 Dummy Winidow: PCMService.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x0040238b" referenced memory at "0x00000001". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.
Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

Is this more malware? :) Or something else?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No that is part of your Dell media direct gumph

If you have your make and model of computer I will try to locate the updated file that fixes that problem, or conversely you can just disable it from starting . Your choice really, I can help with either

Thank you for the donation 'tis appreciated :)

savedglory

savedglory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Oh thank goodness!!! :)

If you know how I can just disable it, that would be fantastic. I have an Inspiron E1705 laptop if that's needed. Again, truly appreciated!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The updated file is here if you wish it http://support.us.de...0&fileid=210212

Otherwise ....

Go start > run and type in MSConfig
Select the start up tab and remove the tick from PCMService
When you reboot you will receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

[attachment=50871:Capture.GIF]

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.