Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reposting: Trojans, Bing Redirects, Hidden Files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi ali.B,
Just wanted to let you know that I will be traveling on business for the next couple of days will not have access to my PC again until Thursday night. I appreciate your continued efforts to help me, and hope we can continue to troubleshoot when I get back.

Advertisements

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
Thanks for let me know, i will think of something meanwhile :)

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
ali.B,
Just wanted to let you know I'm back, but only for 2 days before I have to leave again for a week. Have you had a chance to consider how I might be able to re-boot successfully?
Thanks.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi

Boot to the Repair Console and select the Command prompt.

At the prompt type the following and press Enter after each line.

CHKDSK C: /R

This command will take a considerable amount of time. (At least One hour) If it take more than two hours, then you may have bad sectors in the hard drive.

Once done test to see if able to boot. I would also recommend you remove all peripherals from the computer during this process.

If that wont work, then try to rebuild the BCD as follows:

Boot with the CD, Select Repair your Computer and bring the computer to a command prompt. At the prompt type the following and press Enter:

BCDEdit /export c:\bcd_backup

Leave a space among the following arguments:

BCDEdit
/export
c:\bcd_backup

This command should be successful before continuing. It is always important to backup the BCD before rebuilding the store. If successful, at the prompt type the following and press Enter after each line:

Line 1

Attrib -r -s -h C:\boot\bcd

Attrib
-r
-s
-h
C:\boot\bcd

Line 2

Ren C:\boot\bcd bcd.old

Ren
C:\boot\bcd
bcd.old

Line 3

bootrec /rebuildbcd

bootrec
/rebuildbcd

The computer will be scanned, and once the installation is detected a dialog box will appear asking if you want to add the installation to the boot list. Select Yes(Y)

If successful, restart the computer and test.

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
When I ran CHKDSK on my primary (C:) drive, I got this message: "CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume <Y/N>?" I answered "N" since I don't know what this means. I got the same message whether I booted from the CD or not.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
Skip that part then and jump to the next one.

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Was able to back up the BCD successfully, but the command "Attrib -r -s -h C:\boot\bcd" returned the message "Path not found - C:\boot."
My command prompt is x:\windows\system 32 - is that correct for Windows 7 64-bit?

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
Got into the command prompt and type:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

see if you can boot after that.

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
No good. The command returned "Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 0. The operation completed successfully," and the machine would not boot properly.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi

we'll try one more thing, try this command:

bootrec /fixboot

Advertisements

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Another dead end - booted from the CD, the command returned "The operation completed successfully," but on re-boot (w/o CD), it still showed the "Launch Startup Repair" and "Start Windows Normally" screen. Running Startup Repair still results in "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically."

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
I am afraid that the infection did damage more than I could fix, It is unfortunate but this new variant is not easy to deal with and still being analyzed by our experts, the only solution is a complete re-install.

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thank you for all your help and time - it was most appreciated. I will try to copy critical files from the primary drive using DOS commands before reinstalling, making sure to scan them before copying back afterward. Do you know if the reinstallation will affect files on my D: (secondary) drive?

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi

No the re-installation will only affect the drive your format C:\ everything on D:\ will remain.

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks, again!