Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hard drive - undetected

• Please log in to reply

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Welcome people!

I bought a shiny new hard drive two days ago, and built in into my machine. The problem is, Windows XP will not detect it, and I don't know what to do. This is a Western Digital 500 GB hard drive with 16Mb cache, and I have Windows XP Professional service pack 3.

Any suggestions? The CMOS setup can detect it, but the Windows can't...

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
I assume it is a sata drive.

During install of the XP you need to load the drivers from a floppy using the F6 key.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
That's right, it's a SATA drive. It would function as a data storage and emergency override. Can you tell me how to make Windows detect it? I never did such thing so far, and I'm afraid I shall mess something up...do I really need to reinstall Windows XP or I just need the install CD, and boot from it?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Sorry for going down the wrong path. I read your post as if you needed to put an OS on it.
You do not need to reinstall the OS.

Are you getting a "found new hardware"?
Is it USB or internal in the computer?

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It's internal, I built it inside. It is connected to the PC via two cables - the power supply cable, and a bright pink SATA cable (this goes to the motherboard). I see it in the system tray alright - the problem is, the hard drive only appears under the "Safe disconnect hard drive", so it seems Windows XP somehow can "feel" it...yet, I can't use it, will not appear when I open "My computer".

I was thinking about it needs to be re-formatted or such, but if I can't access it, how could I format it? It also does not have any partition (it should be D:\), and there is no such option as "Found new hardware" on the system tray - I see only "Safe disconnect" as an option.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go into the Control Panel -> Adminisrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

You can initialise and format the drive from in there.

By design Windows does not show an unformatted drive in My Computer.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thank you - I formatted the HDD,and now, it works flawlessly, the system now auto-detects it without any problems. Now I know how to deal with shiny new hard drives.