Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP 32 to 7 64

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks good to me. Patriot is a good brand though I have never used them I read a lot of reviews that people say it is good.

Advertisements

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I am trying to put my liquid coolant onto the 1155 socket, but the plastic pins are just slightly out. I tried and tried, but no go.

Is there an adapter or something that I can get to fit over the contact (the part that contacts the cpu) to replace the existing bracket?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I need to know the model of the liquid coolant system so I can look at the connections and any pics you can provide of the problem point or points would help. :)

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
:) Quick response, I on the other hand had to run to the store and grab a sata dvd drive as my motherboard does not have IDE.

Unable to load pictures at the moment; my computer is in pieces.

I can describe for the moment, if that doesn't work no big deal, I can wait as I have fit the heatsink that came with the cpu on for now.

The liquid system does not have a brand name as far as I could see. So it must be alienware or something like that. I'm not certain, but I believe it's socket 755... I just assumed that the heat sinks were all the same connection.

The copper that contacts the cpu is separate from the fastener that attaches to the motherboard. I was hoping there would be a spot (which I have not found yet) that has these fasteners.

Once I get my pc up and running I can upload pics, but for now... hopefully that helps you enough to help me.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
On another note, I got some of the compound (cpu heat) on my hands and then onto the back of the motherboard. I wiped it down a bit, but that should not matter right?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It will be alright. I have done this in the past with a dodgy thermal paste tube. It wasn't coming out at all, so I brought it up to my eye to have a look and see if anything was blocking it. Just as I was moving it up, it suddenly shot out across the motherboard. Needless to say I was very angry with that little thermal paste tube!!!

On a previous note, you can do a fresh install with the upgrade edition of Windows 7. Google will give you many how-to guides.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any ideals on this coolant hookups Troy?
It sounds to me what is being described is the screw downs for the fan to the motherboard. :)

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Yes, the screw downs. They're plastic, and they're either not quite wide (the stance) enough to fit, or the clips are too short causing it to slant and making it impossible to clip in.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get the model number of the heatsink and fan?

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
The heatsink (that has the hoses going through the copper (water carrier)) has no markings. The main bracket that secures to the motherboard has only "PN: 0012758"
The fan that mounts over this assembly has "412 FH", "PAPST" and "0012675R1"

Advertisements

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
The radiator has the following markings as well, TCI P/N: 0012869

Is there a way to load pictures to the site with my iPhone?

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Okay, I've got my computer going (still haven't done anything about the coolant (using the one that came with the cpu)), I have four hard drives connected, but only my system drive - c: - is showing up. I'm sure this must be some simple tweek somewhere, but am surprisingly unable to find an appropriate google topic (my brain may not be up to par enough to search properly.)

I will post pictures of the bracket tomorrow, in the meantime, any advice on where to go or what to do to make the other drives show would be super.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Right click on Computer, select Manage, then choose Disk Management. Your drives should show up in here, you just need to initialize the drives and format them so Windows can use them (i.e. format them with NTFS file system and give them a drive letter for access).

For the CPU Cooler, you will need to have a bracket that suits your exact cooler to fit the exact motherboard socket that you have.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
It takes a lot of effort to do all the little things.

I had issues with iTunes for example. I was trying to do it quickly so I could load my pictures to my computer from my phone and put them on here (which I have now done.)

For anyone with iTunes who has moved their media and then attempted to reconnect iTunes with their songs (there is obviously the iTunes way to do it explained everywhere, then there is my way (explained somewhere maybe... but I couldn't find it.))
I had my music in the my music folder - iTunes likes that
I moved my music to a separate drive. Upgraded my computer (as per previous posts)
Installed Windows on small SSDrive.
Did not have room to put files in Music directory.
Found solution.
Changed "Libraries" location to my drive H
Opened iTunes and confirmed iTunes target folder (Edit - Preferences - Advanced - iTunes Media folder location) was same location
Took my iTunes folder from the previous computer and pasted it over the target folder (with iTunes closed.)
Opened iTunes, had all my stuff back to normal.

Now back to the liquid cooling.

I took a picture of my bracket and the contact. It looks so similar to what I have on there, it just will not fit no matter the sweat I produce.

Have a look at the attached and let me know if you have any thoughts on ways to secure this onto my CPU. Thanks for everything so far, and now that I have my cor components on my PC working again, I should be responding faster.

There is a picture with the units together that shows how it mounts (when it clamps on the brass straightens.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0377.jpg
  • IMG_0379.JPG
  • IMG_0382.JPG

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Oh... I finally found a site with something good for me here.

This is going to silence my 120 mm fan again :unsure:

Thanks for the help! :)