Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not load windows

• Please log in to reply

grlredhead87

grlredhead87

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My desktop recently just stopped working. It powers on but once it gets past the loading screen it just sits at a black screen with a blinking marker. It was running windows 7 but it had windows xp proffessional for whcih I have a oroduct number for. What do I do?!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi grlredhead87 sorry to hear you are having this issue, I will try and assist you but will require more details.

It powers on but once it gets past the loading screen

Do you get a BIOS screen and then nothing?

It was running windows 7 but it had windows xp proffessional

What do you mean by this? It originally had XP as the OS but the HDD has since been formatted and W7 installed or did you have a dual boot system.

whcih I have a oroduct number for

Only of use if you have the installation disk that it belongs to or you have the equivalent XP home, pro etc or above.
Do you have an onboard video chip or an add on video card?

grlredhead87

grlredhead87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yes, nothing after the BIOS screen. The computer originally came with XP but when I purchased it from a friend it had Windows 7. No dual boot system. I don't have an XP disk but I wasn't sure if there was some way to download it and use the original product key on the computer. No onboard videochip or add on video card.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the additional details we will come back to them later if need be but for now
we need to check your graphics chip or card, you will have one or the other or you would
never have had a display below is my canned text how to check this safely but first can I
ask if you have tried starting in Safe Mode as the issue may be video driver failure MS
instructions are as follow;

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press ENTER. For more information about options, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).

Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of the display. To exit safe mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.

And for checking the MB, PSU, graphics, Ram, connections, fans and dust etc see below;
The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following
safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static
precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal
part of the case.
1: Check the condition of the pc to monitor lead, no bent pins in the end connections
and that both ends are secure.
2: Remove the video card, blow out the slot and then re-seat the card securely, do the
same with the Ram sticks.
3: Clear the CMOS by removing the MBs silver CR2032 battery for a few moments and then
replace it, you could also do this by following the instructions in the MB manual.
The 1st option is easier and normally does the same thing, if you get the screen back
after clearing the CMOS you will need to go into the BIOS, re-set the time and date and
save and exit.
4: Make sure that all fans are working correctly, this includes the psu.
While the case is open the opportunity should be taken to clean out any heat trapping
dust, clean all fans, if canned compressed air is used do not allow fans to spin freely
use something like a clean popsicle stick to hold them still and finally make sure that
all connections are secure.

No onboard videochip or add on video card.

As I said above you definitely have a graphics solution of some sort or you would never
have had a display of any kind.
Whilst you have the case open please make a note of the motherboard and power supply unit
details and post them with your next reply.
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue but if not trying another video card and
PSU can be done.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.