Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound trouble

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you get the Via drivers disk?

Yes. i am getting sound through my headset plugged into the front panel but my software isn't detecting that its plugged in

What software is this? did it come with the original motherboard?

Advertisements

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Did you get the Via drivers disk?

yes i have the drivers disk and have updated the drivers from the ASUS website

What software is this? did it come with the original motherboard?

This is the on-board audio that came with the new motherboard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's time to consider seriously a Parallel Installation of your OS as something is causing the issue and short of a fresh install this is the only other way I can see to correct it.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So can i get rid of my D drive?? It has all the stuff that came pre-installed and i obviously don't need any of that anymore since everything has changed

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Another question if i get to the point where it asks for my product key and it don't work again can i abort and go back to my original install

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I think i have a 10 GB drive around the house somewhere that was taking out of an older computer in order to install a newer one, if i was to use that and install the new version of windows on it set it as master and use my existing one as a slave how would that work ?? would i still have to install my programs not that that's a big deal just been so much of a pain since this upgrade that i would like to safe a step or two if i could

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Regardless the updates would all have to be done again. The programs should not be affected by the repair installation.
Is the D drive a actual hard drive or is it a partition?

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Not really sure but i think its just a partition

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should not affect it but if you don't need it you can delete it after the parallel installation if you would like. I can instruct you on the way to do it. Right now lets work on one thing at a time as not to get any issues other then this one.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
what would happen if i cleared my driver cache then restarted my computer, shouldn't that get rid of all my old drivers ?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can delete or uninstall any driver and then on reboot Windows will try to reinstall the driver.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
OK so i got a rather inxespensive harddrive today and did a clean install of windows XP and i am still having the same trouble, my motherboard is an asus m4a78lt-m le i was looking on there site and they have some updates for the bios and a couple had to do with the sound, should i update the bios and if so should i install all the updates or do i just need to install the latest

one more thing i have never updated a bios so i may need a little help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the sound worked before and you are using the onboard sound then I would say the issue is a faulty onboard sound.
If the sound is enabled in the bios then the sound chip is probably faulty. Here is the download page for your motherboard. Pick the correct OS and then expand the Audio area. You will find all possible drivers for that motherboard onboard sound.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So then sounds like its back to the computer store to get a new motherboard, now if i get the same motherboard everything should work properly right ? It won't know i changed the board is what i mean

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
IS there anyway to test it other then using dxdiag to check if its faulty ?