Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Challenging Rootkit

• Please log in to reply

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Well, that was too good to be true.

It did everything like it should have, but as I was afraid...

it got to that same place it got stuck before. It stops at the screen asking for something it says it needs to go on.

Posted Image

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Just figured out what the picture was saying. You are supposed to have a second XP CD. Stick that in when it asks for it.

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Posted Image

Edited by rootkits-r-evil, 23 August 2011 - 02:50 PM.

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
That's why I took a new photo, so you could read it. (Such a helpful thing for you when the Infected can take screenshots and upload to a server, no?)

The second one is "drivers and utilities" for the Dell Vostro. So that makes sense. I'll pop it in and see what happens.

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Nice try. But no cigar.

How about this....? ------> ""The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed" error message when you install Windows XP"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

From what it says it is having a problem reading the CD. Perhaps this global stuff is wrong. Can you point it at the CD drive - maybe with a drive letter like D:\?

IF not then it gets hairy:

See if this works:

When you receive the error message, press SHIFT+F10 to start a command session.
Type regedit.exe, and then press ENTER.
Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
On the File menu, click Load Hive, and then load %Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav.
When you are prompted to specify a name, type Test.
Locate and then click the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Delete the UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS registry keys.
Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the other ControlSet# keys under the Test hive.
Click File, and then click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
If the path in the error message is the correct drive letter for the CD-ROM drive, click OK to continue the Setup program.
If you receive the error message again, the Setup program cannot correctly read from the CD-ROM drive, or the path information is incorrect. In this case, restart your computer and let the Setup program resume.

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

From what it says it is having a problem reading the CD. Perhaps this global stuff is wrong. Can you point it at the CD drive - maybe with a drive letter like D:\?

IF not then it gets hairy:

Oh, not don't say that. Bad combination- "Support dot Microsoft dot com", and "then it gets hairy"

Sigh. Allright. Let's try your suggestion. I bet it's not that easy.

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I typed in "D:\" and it didn't make any difference. So now it's starting the loop again. In a few minutes I'll be back at that spot.

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Cant we just get a copy of the file, put it on the C drive, and type that location in? Or is that too easy for our pals in Redmond?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Look on your XP CD ROM and see if you can find a file or folder called asms. Maybe you can copy it to the hard drive and point it at the new location or burn it to another CD.

Ron

PS Did you feel the earthquake? 5.8 Magnitude #earthquake in Mineral, VA about 3 hours ago.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
It's a 7.5 meg folder on the CD at: \I386\ASMS

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Look on your XP CD ROM and see if you can find a file or folder called asms.

OK, but how do I do that exactly? Put it in the good machine?

"PS Did you feel the earthquake? 5.8 Magnitude #earthquake in Mineral, VA about 3 hours ago."

No, and I am always noticing much smaller ones. (Wake up and notice things like leaves on a houseplant shaking, and then see on the news there was a small earthquake.)

I am about 40 miles from Boston. It was all on the news right after it, and people near me said they felt it. Some lady in the next town said her dog was acting weird and then the house shook a few minutes later. (interesting phenom)

I guess I was in Virus Land and was preoccupied or something. I guess on the West Coast you guys get this sort of thing all the time. We just get blizzards and the kids get to stay home from school. We call that a "Snow Day".

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
blizzards- pronounced, "BLIH-zuds"

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If you boot off Hiren's and go into the mini xp maybe you can copy the folder (or the whole i386 folder) to the harddrive?

We get earthquakes out here but they are too weak to feel. Snow about 2 days a winter.

rootkits-r-evil

rootkits-r-evil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I can look in the CD. The file we need is not directly in that folder. When you start looking in sub folders, it's just a swap of folders withing folders. I'm going to try searching for it.

Posted Image