Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taskbar Freezes occasionally, copy and paste does not work at times.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jrodfoo

jrodfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

I didn't see anything with that Name "NVSvc" in the services list. I saw a few Nvidia things that I unchecked and rebooted but this morning the symptoms were still there.

I will check under Administrative Tools and Services when I get home from work to see if the NVSvc is listed there and I will disable the service and let you know how my PC is after a few hours.

Any other thoughts you might have?

Thanks

Edited by jrodfoo, 06 October 2011 - 09:12 AM.

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Yes. I have one or two more :). Check that Service and let me know. If you can't find it then please restart your PC in Safe mode and see if you have this problems in Safe mode.

To restart in safe mode:
  • If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

jrodfoo

jrodfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The service was disabled under services.

"Nvidia display driver service"

in safe mode, the random freezing of the taskbar and copy/paste drag does not happen.

I'm at a loss :)

Edited by jrodfoo, 06 October 2011 - 06:21 PM.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi jrodfoo,

We'll do what we can. Let's try to find problematic service one by one.

Please click on Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and press Apply button.
Restart your system now

If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem

Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot.

Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked. Post back with the results.

jrodfoo

jrodfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

everything is unchecked under the services tab and hide all microsoft services is checked off.

The freezing of the taskbar and the drag copy and paste function has come back.

Back to the drawing board

I noticed that when I do ALT+Tab and chose another application or folder that I have open, I am able to then click on a window in the taskbar that i couldn't before when it was froze. the drag copy and paste still doesn't work though and the random freezing of the taskbar comes back after awhile. Just thought I'd mention that.

Edited by jrodfoo, 08 October 2011 - 06:13 PM.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi jrodfoo,

OK. Let's now check startup entries.

Please click on Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and press Apply button.
Restart your system now
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

jrodfoo

jrodfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

everything is unchecked under the startup tab

The freezing of the taskbar and the drag copy and paste function has come back.

Man this is really messed up. This does not happen in Safe mode.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi jrodfoo,

Very interesting... Let's remove some leftovers from your system. Test it after this step and let me know.

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

Registry::
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"CTStartup"="c:\\program files\\Creative\\SBAudigy\\Program\\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run"

RegLockDel::
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{11B5C8DC-3FEA-1682-D4F0355518481497}\{414E0745-768E-27E6-1A22BEEA50FFC306}\{0F77990A-A8C5-E83C-A2DEB9098A2A23DE}*]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{C3E67C84-FF81-4ACD-401BD333BA56E9EA}\{F4E9985F-0D7B-FE76-62CD8C76B0126B78}\{BB457FA5-4647-F88E-4919FBC3754B9322}*]

Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe

Posted Image

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.

jrodfoo

jrodfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I will go ahead and try this and let you know

Thanks!

also I think it could be the mouse? When I click on the middle wheel button, it gets stuck.

I was using chrome today too and when i was clicking on the tabs, it would close them. Thought this was odd. I was searching from forums, and low and be hold I saw someone else with the exact same symptoms. The wireless mouse and keyboard i use now is pretty old.

Going to get a another set and report back.

Edited by jrodfoo, 10 October 2011 - 05:21 PM.

jrodfoo

jrodfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
SO i tested this before I left to go get another wireless keyboard and mouse. I middle clicked my mouse button, and the taskbar froze instantly, I was amazed. This wireless mouse set is fairly old, and I wanted to get another set but just have put it off.

I went to Best Buy and purchased another logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set, Installed it, and My system has been working flawlessly ever since! I can't believe that was it! All because I installed Google Chrome and then had some weird symptoms and found that other people experienced the issue and that it was their mouse.

I would like to thank you for your time and tips on this! My PC is definitely running MUCH faster after performing all of the tasks you have mentioned.

Much Appreciated!

Thanks again,

Jerrod

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi jrodfoo,

Very strange! Thank you for report this here. Good job :)

Your logs and system are clean now. I'm glad we fix up your computer. We need to clean up your PC from programs we used.

Step 1

Please start OTL one more time and click CleanUp button. OTL will restart your system at the end. Remove all other application we used to clean your PC.

General recommendations

Here are some recommendations you should follow to minimize infection risk in the future:

1. Enable Windows Update
  • Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
  • Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them option.
  • Click OK button

2. Delete Temp files

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

3. Make Backups of Important Files

Please read this article Home Computer Data Backup.

4. Regularly update your software

To eliminate design flaws and security vulnerabilities, all software needs to be updated to the latest version or the vendor’s patch installed.

You should download Update Checker from here. The program will automaticly check for newer version of software installed on your system.

jrodfoo

jrodfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank You, I have been going thru your list to make sure things have been updated.

Once again, Thank You for your time and assistance with this matter! It's greatly appreciated!

Have a great day/evening!

Jerrod

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.